Share Your Worst October Weather Experience

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Share Your Worst October Weather Experience

Post by Cross Country »

For pork 50:I really like those kinds of stories. Thanks.

For Tom - were you ever lucky! I was at Florence a few weeks ago and had an experience with the type of consequences (or worse) that you had, so your story had particular interest (because of the place) for me.

For FeetFirst - I think you were luckier that you probably know.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Share Your Worst October Weather Experience

Post by giantbrookie »

As many trips as I've taken, I really haven't had too many bad weather experiences, for I tended to call off trips, particularly in the late season, if the weather report didn't sound good.

I recall some cold trips, including having a lake freeze over before my eyes in the middle of the day, but nothing overly unpleasant, let alone adventurous. In fact the worst hardships of the cold trips I can recall involve taking care of alcohol. The lake-freeze-over trip kicked off with me dropping and breaking my 151 bottle--not one of my better starts to a trip. Another 4WD car camping trip was so cold (recall having an icicle beard on the bumper of my Pathfinder) I remember having to keep the red wine very close to the fire to keep it from getting ice cold.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;