What is the weather doing in the next few days???

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What is the weather doing in the next few days???

Post by freestone »

Looks like it could linger until Tues or Wednesday. Rain amounts are all over the place because that's whats happening with the models. Friday afternoon forecast will be the best for rainfall amounts.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefintu »

Wd,
It's been a crazy year weather wise. Earlier this year, I've been in some heavy rain and some snow in June. At the end of July, I was supposed to head up the Mitre Basin but, I waited a couple of days, I'm glad we did. Being above 10,000 in a major thunder storm scares me. Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. You have way more experiance in the mountains than me too answer your question. Be carefull and have fun!!!
Don
fishhunter
Topix Acquainted

Post by fishhunter »

Gear up and go! If anything it will just mean less people. Had a situation like this in August 2009 (snow), weather system passed and had the backcountry to ourselves. A little challenging weather makes for interesting pictures and a memorable trip.
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

I am heading out sunday for five days, just south of Yosemite on the Fernandez trail towards Rutherfords lakes.

Best weather station El Portal in Yosemite?

If so, I have a forecast of all five days of thunderstorms/lightning. Kind of concerning if we get stuck in a major storm with lightning with my dogs. They arent big fans, and neither is my wife.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have decided to delay a few days- will drive down to King Canyon Sunday- Monday if forecast is still at +50% rain or snow. In my situation, where I have no compelling reason to go today (no permit yet and no others to consider), it makes sense to just wait a few days. When I am already out and weather gets rainy- that is one thing and I deal with it, but I see no reason right now to start out in rain. I am really more concerned about snow- as I will be going over a few near-12,000 foot passes and camping at lakes above 11,000 feet.

Now, if this whole thing just blows over I will regret my choice!

As for lightning and thunderstorms- I have spent a lot of time in the Rockies where afternoon lightning shows are a daily occurance. You deal with them simply by starting hiking at the crack of dawn and getting to your destination before 2PM. Stormy afternoons, however, do play havoc with afternoon day-hikes from camp. Bring a book!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I agree with Fishunter Rob. Go!!! The reports I'm reading are for isolated to scattered thunder storms. Sometimes you get drenched, sometimes you dont. Yes, theres the "it rained for 5 straight hours" type of events, but there are also days when it clouds up and rumbles, but you get very little rain if any at all. One area gets nailed, and an area a canyon or two away gets nothing. Its hit or miss. It may change your overall destinations (i.e., you may not get all the way to your planned destination), but IMO, thats just backpacking. Most trips seem to have some sort of divergence from the original iteneary for one reason or another and storms are just one of those things.

My typical experience involves waking up to fairly clear skies, clouds begiining to converge about 11:00, T Storms for an hour or two, then clear skies in the afternoon and evening. Can I guarrantee that? Of course not and I have had some very wet trips, but some of my fondest memories come from trips with stormy weather. If you get in a particuallrly wet storm, tent up, and sit it out with the comfort of your wifes company (and the poochies too). I find its kinda fun, especially being with someone like your wife. Its cooler, less dust, and IMO, the fishing is better. Some of my fondest memories are ones from such trips. Make some tea, some coco, and enjoy the view.

I hiked with my wife and then 2.5 year old son into the Hilton Lakes on the east side. We hiked in, set camp, and went down to the lake to do some fishing. The storm came in while we were down there, but we got back to camp just before the storm hit in earnest. First it rained, then hailed, then snowed. At one point here was about 3" on the ground. My wife was getiing a tad nervous and indicated she thought we should hike out (wrong answer, stay put until it passes). We made some soup and took naps, and when we awoke, all but a few traces of the snow were gone and the skies were clearing. My wife still comments on how much fun that trip was and the fishing was superb. The next morning we hiked out, and by the time we reached the TH, the days storms were staring to build again.

Its obviously your call. If you schedule allows you to wait a week, that would be OK. But Ive never found T Storms to be a deal breaker. Just my 2 cents!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

My brother & I are/were planning on hitting the back-end of Whitney Wed-Sun, but now I'm thinking we might want to push it back a day or so.

Like any SoCal trannie, I hate rain/poor weather (part of why I never returned to NorCal), so the idea of spending time inside a tent vs fishing and/or day hiking isn't really appealing.

If you have the opportunity to be flexible, timing a trip after a weather front moves through can offer big rewards. Not only do you get crystal clear skies, but early fall high pressure over the Great basin provides beautiful, balmy weather.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Most don't know how good we have it in the Sierra as far as the weather goes. I can remember going on family trips where it rained non-stop all week. Ive yet to even put on my rainpants in the Sierra.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Were this early August I would also just go. However it is mid-September. The late summer does not necessarily mean a similar late Fall. This time of year one needs take weather warnings a bit more seriously. As of noon light rain in Bishop. "Likely" rain all Saturday in the mountains. Forecast for 10,200 feet in Gardnier Basin: cold weekend and early next week with lows in mid-20's highs only in mid-40's and 70% sky cover, chances of ppt about 80% Saturday evening lessening to 50% mid week. At 11,500 feet, snow is predicted with highs in low-40s. Given these forecasts, an overnight to Hilton Lakes is quite different than a week+ trip at high altitude and over 12,000 foot passes (think of a dusting of fresh snow covering ice-hard older snow on north sides of passes).If it pans out as stated, it could be a miserable several days in the Sierra- not your average Sierra afternoon brief thunderstorms. Right now they are talking of .5 to .75 inches of rain (snow above 10,800 feet). Not "Donner Party" conditions, but still a bit miserable. I have spent plenty of time for many days straight in these conditions (already paid my dues, have my bragging rights) and there was little about those trips that I deem pleasant. What concerns me about this weather pattern is its duration, not intensity- looks like a week-long affair-- IF the weather guys are correct.

The farther north you go, the less storm. I am seriously considering going up to the Marble Mountains instead or at least to Yosemite. The issue to me is how accurate is the forecast? The weather models snow a lot of uncertainty. We may luck out and get a mild storm.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Marble Mtns might be ok. They're predicting dry lightning from Sonoma County North this week.