Harrison Pass - TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Harrison Pass - TR

Post by sparky »

Yes thank you for the report. Thank all of you for your reports, I may not comment much but I do read them all. The view from Harrison pass looks very nice.

About the mosquitos, I experienced this Friday night in my camp at rock creek. Except the thick cloud of mosquitos was hanging out 15ft away in the evening sun, but only a straggler here and there landed on me.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for the report and photos. I also saw the Harrison photos in the conditions thread and was hoping for more. When I did Harrison a few years ago, it was a low snow year so I appreciated seeing the contrasting conditions. And all that talus on the descent or approach does get annoying. Any photo of Lake Reflection is appreciated - brings back wonderful memories.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

I was about to turn around before I discovered a plausible route to the south (left) of the snowfield:
Thanks for the pictures. I'm planning to be at Harrison Pass the end of next month. How difficult was the route you found around the snow??
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

quentin,
The upper bits of the northern approach to Deerhorn are no worse than the north side of Harrison (not much better, either; but for your skills, it would not be a problem). From an earlier trip, I'd remembered more talus on the approach to Deerhorn, but on this more-recent trip, the talus was not a big deal. Perhaps, hardening of the arteries can be beneficial?

And, captain slappy, if you have any qualms about Harrison, check out Ericsson. It's a viable planB.
cg
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks CG. I often find my recollection works in the opposite direction, so that when I revisit something sketchy I'm amazed that I did it before without terror and dread.

Captain -- by the end of September I think a route around the snow on Harrison would be relatively easy. A lot of Harrison is just a very steep scree slide. Tough on the knees but not particularly dangerous. The snow filled the center chute when I did it, necessitating use of the rock on the side, which did involve a few delicate (for me, at least) class 3 moves. But I very much doubt that will be needed in late September.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

quentinc,
that would be lake 3590m situated between derhorn and ericson crags (i think).
the lake i was referring to is the next one downstream at about 3270m situated between reflection and the lake in your picture.
thanks again, enjoyed your report :)