Dorothy Lake Pass area (Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant intersectio

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Dorothy Lake Pass area (Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant intersectio

Post by oleander »

Hi,

I came through Dorothy Pass many years ago on the PCT, and have always wanted to return. We stopped at Bonnie Lake, just off-trail (gorgeous).

We'd like to return to explore these lakes (Dorothy/Bonnie/Helen area). Also, I've always wondered about the high lake country in the southeastern section of Emigrant Wilderness, and that could be a logical add-on.

Route advice please? Here are some parameters:

Intermediate-advanced backpackers
OK with class 2/3, but prefer a "mostly trail" trip this time, some easy x-country good
SCENERY is #1 priority.
Prefer high country, alpine lakes, and eastside desert walking.
Want to avoid "long viewless forest slogs" or cow country. (We remember Walker Meadow as cow country, would not want to linger there if still true.)
We don't fish.
8-12 miles/day on-trail, 5-8 off-trail.
4-5 days.
Willing to do shuttle-trip.

For trailheads, my first wild guess would be that we start at Leavitt Lake (it's closest to our destination, and it's high elevation which we like), and hike out Buckeye Flat (we thought it might be a pretty eastside desert hike?). There are also some longer entries, e.g. Sonora Pass (been there), or Twin Lakes via Buckeye Pass/Peeler Lake. Leavitt Meadows we heard is a relatively viewless slog, but correct me if you feel otherwise. Yet another option we heard about is to start our trip with a x-country entry into Blue Lake/Deadman Lake, joining the PCT above Deadman.

Very best lakes in the Bonnie/Helen/Dorothy area?
Very best lakes in southeastern Emigrant Wilderness?
Is Tower Lake worth an extra day's hike out of our way? We probably wouldn't climb Tower Peak.
Blue Lake/Deadman entry, that would add a day. Worth it? How difficult is the x-country?
What are we missing?
What is overrated?

Sample itinerary:
Day 1 - Leavitt Lake to High Emigrant Lake or Grizzly Meadow
Day 2 - Some kind of loop around a bunch of lakes in SE Emigrant Wilderness
Day 3 - Hike to Dorothy/Bonnie/Helen area, explore
Day 4- Out via Buckeye Flat

Thank you in advance!
Elizabeth
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Re: Dorothy Lake Pass area (Hoover/Yosemite/Emigrant intersectio

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Last year we went to this area, although not your route. The Walker Meadows had no cows and were spectacular.
HST 8-310003.JPG
No cows, but the many horses for the whole route were somewhat annoying. Just too many of them.

Speaking of annoying critters, last year the skeeters at Grizzly Meadows were some of the worst I've ever experienced, which is saying a lot. This year, who know.

Dorothy Lake is spectacular, as well, but crowded. If you ask nicely I can tell you about the awesome campsite we found there.
HST 8-310001.JPG
Tower Lake is nice, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way from your route to make it there.
HST 8-310002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Please tell me about the awsome campsite at Dorothy Lake. I want to hike from Lev. Meadows to Dorothy Lake; and follow the old PCT to Tuol.Meadows. I think its about a 70 mile trip. Has anyone done this recently?
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Since you asked nicely...the lake more or less runs east-west. The site is in the only small stand of trees on the southeast side of the lake. From the pass, you'd exit the trail above the lake and go to your left (south) along the beach where I took the photo with the shadows. It's obviously a long-established site, but it may not be 1000% percent legal as it may be a bit close to the lake.
HST 8-31 0001.JPG
There are a few campsites we found on the north side of the lake, but the majority that we found are by the outlet to the west.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.