dayhikes from Vogelsang area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

dayhikes from Vogelsang area

Post by dreamer1 »

Good day all,

after some helpful input from board members last year, my backpacking buddy and I had a wonderful 7 night trip for our 1st visit to the High Sierras last fall. Truly memorable. We will be returning after labor day this September and are planning to camp 3 nights near Vogelsang (or Upper Fletcher area or the other side of Vogelsang pass) and then a 4th on our way back to TM somewhere along Lyell Canyon.

Since we will have 2 complete days to day hike about once at Vogelsang, I was wondering if people had suggestions as to where to head (10-12 mile return trips would be fine but not too much more; shorter trips with time at lakes would be lovely too) and preferred spots to set up a tent in the area (the HS camp should be closed by then but still a relatively quiet setting by a lake would be our preference). Any ideas on where to stop along Lyell for an overnight would be helpful too.

Many thanks - can't wait to be back!
Last edited by dreamer1 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: dayhikes from Vogelsang area

Post by no2haven »

Ireland Lake is quite nice...I did a quick overnighter there last September and there was no one else in the area all night. Its a big, open basin with a large lake right up against the mountain and great views across to the Conness area. Don't think its all that far from Vogelsang, maybe 4-5 miles one way.

I've also heard great things about the Gallison Lakes basin, but haven't been there personally.
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

While not a long hike, summitting Vogelsang Peak is very worthwhile, even if it is on the way to somewhere else during a longer dayhike. It is an easy class 2 climb with outstanding views of much of Yosemite. The views East of mounts Florence, Maclure and Lyell are especially impressive.

Summitpost.org sums it up perfectly:
Vogelsang Peak is located in the Cathedral Range of Yosemite NP. Because it lies off the main crest of the Cathedral Range, it offers a dramatic view of nearly the entire range from Cathedral Peak to the northwest to Simmons Peak towards the southeast. In addition, it offers a commanding view of the Merced drainage to the west and a sweeping view of the Clark Range. To the north can be seen most of the peaks in Northern Yosemite as far as the Sawtooth Range. And on the horizon to the east can be seen the major summits of the Kuna Crest from Mt. Dana to Blacktop Peak.

The easiest route is found by taking the trail from Vogelsang HSC past Vogelsang Lake towards Vogelsang Pass. About half way between the lake and the pass, head South off trail and make your way towards the obvious low point East of the summit. Climb this sandy and rocky slope to the top of the ridge. While not hard nor exposed, this section is by far the most difficult of the route. From the top of the ridge, turn Northwest and walk up the numerous easy, wide-open ridges to the summit. The trip should take 60-90 minutes roundtrip from Vogelsang Lake.

As far as camping spots, there are numerous options in the general area. Boothe Lake is nice and usually not crowded despite it close proximity to the main trail.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Nice area for a base camp but would not overnight at Vogelsang as HSC is too crowded and lake is fishless (or if fish there still – rare).
When coming up from Tuolumne, at the 6 mile/ 10,000ft pass, two trails – One up to HSC and other down to Booth…take neither. Instead just go south-east up directly x-country 1/4 mile to Fletcher and camp there.

Side day trips:
1) Use trail to Upper Townsley, maybe up to Hanging Basket, and over the ridge X-country to Ireland… (Good fishing), trail back to Evelyn (fishing here too) and back to Fletcher camp.
2) Down to Boothe and Emeric nice day trip.
3) Over V. Pass to Bernice – but superior fishing here really demands a stay-over…also recommend 90 min side trip Tuolumne Peak for the views … backside Half Dome.

BTW, Junction Ireland trail down and Lyell - nice places to camp.
Mountainman who swims with trout
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We just got back from that area about a week ago, and really enjoyed it. Bernice Lake is lovely, and from there you can hike off trail to the waterfall and then up the creek to a series of lakes above that. SO that would be a great day hike. And Gallison Lake isn't too far away, either.

On the other side, you could always hike to Boothe Lake, and we stayed at Emeric (not great camping there, to be honest, unless you get all the way to the other side of the lake) but that's another nice hike.

And we hiked in from Nelson Lake...cross country to Tuolumne Pass. Not sure if you are up to that, but the reverse trip would be just as easy---and would take you first to Reymann Lake, which is lovely.

Having said all that....mosquitoes were pretty fierce!

We put a TR on our blog....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Thanks for the (once again!) useful input. Bernice has long been on my list and look forward to making my way there (will not be fishing this time however). Other options sound very nice too and maybe I'll give climbing Vogelsang a try. Toulomne peak (suggested by Markskor), unless I am mistaken, is quite out of the way (by May lake no?), Anybody ever camp by Gallison lake - jut the other side of Vogelsang pass?

Cheers!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

dreamer1 wrote:Toulomne peak (suggested by Markskor), unless I am mistaken, is quite out of the way (by May lake no?),
My mistake - sorry.
Meant Voglesang Peak...must have been a brain fart.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout