Cross Country Snowpack question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whttiger25
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Cross Country Snowpack question

Post by whttiger25 »

I'm leaving on a backpacking trip this weekend and am planning on leaving the JMT north of Senger Pass at either the hilgard junction (and heading up the Italy Pass trail to Pine Creek) or going through the east fork bear creek basin and traveling cross country to join that trail near Italy Pass and continuing to Pine Creek the same way. This will happen approximately Saturday September 3. Has anyone been in the region recently that could comment on potential snow pack during this unusual year?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Cross Country Snowpack question

Post by cgundersen »

hi,
Although we sadly ran out of battery power around Lake Italy, I can assure you that you'll need to be reasonably comfortable on snow in that area. The good news is that there are enough tracks around Lake Italy and on the Pass that if you wait till the sun has warmed things up, you should be fine. For an idea of snow levels just to the North (Mono Creek/McGee Creek), check the photos in my recent post (today).
cg