Lillian Lake Loop next month

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Lillian Lake Loop next month

Post by oldranger »

I can't imagine not taking a bag each. sh-- happens. If you only have heavy rectangular bags you might get by with one but I would go without 151 before not taking a bag or even leaving out a couple z-rays, or not taking camp shoes--things you could leave out without creating an increased risk if things go bad. Remember you haven't done this before so safety should not be taken lightly.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:I can't imagine not taking a bag each. sh-- happens. If you only have heavy rectangular bags you might get by with one but I would go without 151 before not taking a bag or even leaving out a couple z-rays, or not taking camp shoes--things you could leave out without creating an increased risk if things go bad. Remember you haven't done this before so safety should not be taken lightly.

Mike
I was kinda inching to that, but it was her comfort i was looking for. If Rob wants to sleep in a liner and fleece, well.... ARE YOU NUTS!! I love my bags. I love my pad. without them, there'd be no sleep. If it's 40 out, i can see where the quilt would work for both. If it hits 20, you might wish you packed differently.

As I asked before, everyone should have a bag.

Bring the 151.. Just don't make your wife carry it all. :)
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

ok, point taken.

For anyone that has taken this route before are the trails pretty obvious? I am not worried about getting lost, just following the correct trail. And anything else we should consider? My wife now wants us to make it a monday to friday thing, just spend the week out there at all the lakes, enjoying.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Its been a few years for me (2002), but the trails were all well maintained and marked. We visted these main areas: started at Fernandez and went to the Stanford Lakes; Fernandez Lakes; Rutherford Lake, Lillian; and back to the car. If yu have time, take a venture over to Chittenden (sp?) above the Stanford Lakes as it was very pretty. We cross countried abit around the Fernandez lakes, but it was easy going stuff. Enjoy your trip and IMO, bring sleeping bags. Weather can change pretty quickly up there.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Thanks Troutdog.

I just went and bought a couple of 35+ bags to take with us. We have a camping trip next week for a few days so we will try them out before we head up there.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Rob...

Can't let this pass. Unless you supplement the 35 degree bags with substantial extra sleepwear you are at risk for some pretty uncomfortable nights. Personally in september I sleep in my usual 20 degree WM bag and light long underwear and a silk turtleneck. But I also bring an extra pair of long underwear and 100 wt fleece top, and fleece hat just for sleeping if it gets cold. Some others in this forum use warmer bags and bring more extra clothes. I've experienced 9 inches of snow once at 7300 ft on Sept. 10 and lesser amounts several other times. I've also experienced several sub 20 degree nights. On the other hand days on end in September can be idyllic. But I would never count on it! Things can change rapidly and days 4,5, and 6 of a trip can be much different than predicted. If prepared it is no big deal. Just sit out the weather. Snow never lasts too long in Sept. If not prepared you will be miserable at best and at worst ....

Just want you to be safe and enjoy your trip even if mother nature is not so kind to you.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

Mike
Very much agree. I think we will also bring along our sleeves, that should add at least 5-10 degrees to the bags, along with our long johns ect.

I have hunted/camped in snow, and as long as your warm, its fun. Cold sucks.....
RobertD
Topix Acquainted

Post by RobertD »

My wife is pretty much sure we are going to be attacked by rampaging lunatic bears.

I understand not to eat in the tent, cook a good distance away,and a bear canister, but she is somewhat sure they will still try to eat her at night.

We have our dogs, and a great big can of anti bear spray, and will follow above, but please some words of comfort...?
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We've hiked 500 miles in the past five years in the SIerra, and seen exactly ONE bear on the trail. It was 75 yards away, and immediately high-tailed it once it saw us.

Keep a clean camp, and stay away from stupid people, and the bears will leave you alone.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Ditto to what Balzaccom said. I have been packing since 1975 and have seen a bear in the backcountry twice. Ive seen them numerous times at roadside camps (3 this year), just not that often in the backcountry . I will admit to limiting my time in known bear areas (Little Yosemite Valley, Bubbs Creek out of Roads End, etc), but Ive not heard of the area your going to having any more than normal. Don't get me wrong, there out there, but with a bear container and good food habits (no food in tent or packs, separate cooking area), bears are not a typical problem. Ive had far more issues with critters like marmots and mice getting in to my food, but never a bear. Sierra bears are black bears, not grizzlies and they are interested in your food, not you. That said, if a bear does get your food, don't try and get it back. Its now his/hers. Possession is 100% of the law to a bear :) :bear: Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went. I'm thinking of doing a loop out of Granite creek and coming back by Lillian and Stanford Lakes in late September so your input would be appreciated. :)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead