Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers | High Sierra Topix  

Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby TahoeJeff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:25 am

Here is a little article from my local paper on how all the snow is affecting the PCT thru-hikers.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/articl ... ofile=1056
Many of us have been so brainwashed over the years — by sheer repetition, rather than by either logic or empirical tests — that statistical disparities are automatically taken to mean discrimination, whether between races, sexes or whatever.
Thomas Sowell Nov. 24, 2016



User avatar
TahoeJeff
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:03 am
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Experience: N/A

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 am

TahoeJeff wrote:Here is a little article from my local paper on how all the snow is affecting the PCT thru-hikers.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/articl ... ofile=1056

Interesting.

I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby rlown » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:58 am

TehipiteTom wrote:I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.


Shoulder-deep stream crossings? That's not a crossing; That's a swim!
User avatar
rlown
Topix Junkie
 
Posts: 6481
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Petaluma, CA
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby quentinc » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:06 am

Erin's PCT diary had lots of accounts of stream swims, as well as other near-disasters. I still think all those people left too early, given the conditions. The group I leap-frogged with around Glen Pass 5 weeks ago was about 2 weeks behind Erin, et.al., and was having no real problems (at least up to that point). I guess they might have to deal with storms in the Cascades, but with all the energy they saved in the Sierra, they might be able to catch up.
User avatar
quentinc
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Experience: N/A

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:01 pm

rlown wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote:I ran into 3 thru-hikers in one day last week near Mount Eddy (west of Mt. Shasta), and they all had harrowing tales of mile after mile of snow and shoulder-deep stream crossings. They did it, though, and the conditions make their accomplishment (up to that point--about 2/3 of the whole way) all the more impressive.


Shoulder-deep stream crossings? That's not a crossing; That's a swim!

No kidding! It's sure as hell deeper than I'd be comfortable with.

But he said in that case it was either waist-deep and very fast, or shoulder-deep but slow & placid. From that perspective, it's a little more understandable.
User avatar
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:42 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Local newspaper's take on PCT thru-hikers

Postby Troutdog 59 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I have also been following the blog of Erin as she does the PCT and Quentinc's right about those fords in the Sierra in June. Just plain crazy and theres even a vid of them swimming with their packs :eek: :eek: :eek:

One guy (nicknamed Balls) with them at the time had to do each crossing 5 times, because his 11 year old daughter (nicknamed Sunshine) is doing the PCT with him. He would cross with his pack (1), back for Sunshines pack (2), back across with Sunshines pack (3), back for Sunshine (4), and then he would carry/help Sunshine across (5). Wow!!!!

I have to admit to have found the blog very fascinating as it never dawned on me all of the different equipment one needs for the various sections (no need for a bear contaner or ice axe in the desert i guess) and all of the logistics required to pull off such an undertaking. Down right impressive!!! And hats off to these folks called "Trail Angels" that help these folks out with rides to town, places to stay, caches, do laundry, etc. Very cool indeed.

Still, I dont have nor will have a desire to do such a trek, but I take my hats off to those of you that do. Simply awesome and inspiring!!
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"
D. Gilmour, Pink Floyd
User avatar
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 am
Location: Clovis
Experience: N/A


Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: indiegamer and 2 guests