Preparing for the JMT in a week...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
puffer1000
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Preparing for the JMT in a week...

Post by puffer1000 »

For those who've been on or around the JMT recently, is it worth bringing yaktrax or mini spikes at this point? Or would it just be adding undue weight to the pack?

Thanks for any responses!

Aaron
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Preparing for the JMT in a week...

Post by AlmostThere »

I would take the spikes. Yax are better for parking lots. They tend to snap when you need them most.

Of course, it's dubious whether you'll need them even on the high passes - poles would be the priority item, for me. There've been a bunch of folks out there already stomping over the snow that's remaining. But microspikes would be my vote, better safe than sorry.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

As always, HYOH and take what pleases you, but...
Personally, feel poles will be enough/ample...snow is melting fast and plenty of tracks laid down over the high passes. Biggest problem now is punching through, not grip. Suppose you could take them along and then see for yourself... at Donahue...bet you send stuff back once you hit Reds.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

From the few folks who I talked to hiking the JMT in the Bench Lake vicinity this
past weekend said Mather Pass was still very difficult, and still had a lot of snow
making things slow going.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org