Chain of Lakes - Hoover Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Chain of Lakes - Hoover Wilderness

Post by rrivera »

Has anyone been to the Chain of Lakes area in Hoover this season? I am planning on heading there for an overnight trip. I have never been out of LM but just driving in the area it looks spectacular. I am looking for any recent information on crossing the Walker River or the lakes themselves.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Chain of Lakes - Hoover Wilderness

Post by no2haven »

Was there about a month ago and the West Walker was raging (ie, some insane people were crossing chest-deep, fast, 30 foot wide flows, but I certainly wasn't going to), but I'm sure its better now. If no one can offer more recent beta, the Bridgeport/Pinecrest ranger offices might have more up to date info.

The crossing to Fremont lake looked like it was fairly deep, and could still be quite high. Also, if you've never been there, the trail starts from the backside of the camping area (not the overnight parking), over a nice bridge. Take the right fork into the canyon if you want the good views south before you get into the forest, though Secret Lake is quite scenic as well. Great area.
riromero
Topix Novice

Post by riromero »

I just got back from there Sunday (Aug 7th). On the first day we traveled up the West Walker to Fremont Lake. Two separate groups coming down said the river was too high to cross safely but we pressed on. The river was indeed higher than I've ever seen it in August, cresting all the boulders in the narrow section on the way up. The horse packer crossing was about chest high and swift so I started to worry, but when we reached the hiker crossing it was ankle deep for the most part with a final section up the knees. I can't believe anyone would turn back due to this gentle crossing; perhaps the others had assumed it would be raging based upon conditions downstream.

Now for the bad part... The mosquitos at Chain of Lakes were just crazy. We had the DEET and headnets but still the darn things drove us nuts. Constant mosquito whine. They drilled through our jeans, flew up our sleeves, found ways in under the net. Just unbearable. Also, the Chain of Lakes are little more than stagnant ponds. I'd recommend continuing on to Long Lakes less than a mile further. We used this as base camp and had the place to ourselves for three nights. Mosquitos were still bad though.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rrivera »

I did get up to Chain of Lakes this past weekend and we also passed a number of folks who said that the Walker River was too high too cross even though this was counter to what the ranger office said. I am 5'4" and the water only went up about thigh high and was an entirely safe crossing. We headed to the lake at the end of the chain which is also the largest. While it didn't have the grandeur of many Sierra lakes it was very nice and we had it all to ourselves. The sqeets were horrendous at dusk and made dinner a lot of fun. I had never been in this area and it was very beautiful I can't wait to do a longer trip here.
riromero
Topix Novice

Post by riromero »

That's good news. It is indeed a beautiful area. From Chain of Lakes, it's about 4 miles to Cinko lake which is a gem. I don't know if you like to fish, but Cinko lake last Friday was like a trout farm. I caught a 9" brook trout on my first cast. The fish hit on every lure in my box. The water was so clear I could see 4-5 fish chasing your line in every cast. The most amazing day of fishing in my life. If you
ever have the time Chain-of-Lakes/Cinko Lake/Dorothy Lake makes a fantastic loop trip.