It's Uphill, Both Ways!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

It's Uphill, Both Ways!

Post by Wild Bill »

I've hiked over to Purple Lake many times over the years from Duck Pass. I just got back last week from another trip over there. I was thinking, ( a dangerous pastime, I know!) it seems like it's uphill, both ways! Duck Lake to Purple Lake, or Purple Lake to Duck Lake! Anyone else ever notice that? :paranoid:

How 'bout we develop a list of trails that are uphill, both ways?
Flux
Topix Expert

Re: It's Uphill, Both Ways!

Post by Flux »

I'm convinced there is a vortex in there some place on that trail. I distinctly remember it being up hill both ways............and I hiked in at night with fresh snow on the ground. I still have no idea how we actually made Purple Lake that night.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

That's just how gravity works in parts of the Sierra.
cg
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Interesting comment. Indeed such up and downs require twice the effort for the same height of mountains.

There are of course many places where one goes way up and then way down in a single backpacking day without usually stopping on the way. One many of us have done is Upper Lamarck Lake at 10.9k over Lamarck Col at 12.9k then down to either Darwin Bench 11.2k, Evolution Lake at 10.8k, or Evolution Valley 9.8k. Another is Mosquito Flat at 10.2k over Mono Pass at 12.0k then down to Mono Creek at 10k and on up to Pioneer Basin. There are of course even worse single dayers but anything more than 3k up and down is likely to be broken up into easier chunks.

David
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

It is reassuring (I think!) that other noticed that too!

Shepherd Pass Trail:
Huge elevation gain from Owens Valley to 12,000'. Killer!
Then that "wonderful" section you lose 500' elevation and get to re-climb it back.
On the return, you get the "privilege" of going uphill again over that section.
I remember running the rattlesnake gauntlet at the bottom by Symmes Creek. It's always
a treat to hear that "rattle" as you walk by a bush! It gets your attention!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

WildBill
Speaking of Shepherd's infamous dip, I was surprised to hit a similar, albeit smaller, dip going over Sawmill last year. I'd only done Sawmill one other time and did not recall a dip, but there it was just smiling away in that hot August sun. Or, maybe it was a hallucination? Either way, it promotes respect for those big East side slogs.
cg
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

CG:
Sawmill was another painful hike. I know exactly what you are talking about; I stopped at the top of that section for a rest and to enjoy the view. I was quickly surrounded by a bunch of big, gnarly lizards! Not sure if they wanted me to feed them, or they thought I was the food!
BTW...what is the correct term for a large group of lizards?

I seem to remember reading a guide book that described those passes as: "An unmitigated horror of dryness and steepness." And then I said: "Let's go!" Oh, to be young and foolish!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Not to stray off topic, but those eatside passes are just so alluring with their quick acess. I had planned a hike for this Sept using Taboose which was to be my first of those passes......which may not materialize. The San Jacintos have a lot of steep ascents so I am used to a big day one. 6000 ft is just so brutal.....5000 is tough.....up to 4000 ft isn't bad at all.....those last 1-2k will just do you in if you aren't properly acclimated.

As tough as the ascent it, what I actually dread is the descent....

As for uphill both ways roads end, avalache pass roaring river seemed that way
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

My experience makes me the disinter here. When my son Mike (10yo) and I hiked Purple to Duck Pass we each commented how level (in aggregate) the hike from Purple L. to Duck L. was.

Diving hawk over Purple Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

[quote="Wild Bill"]CG:
I was quickly surrounded by a bunch of big, gnarly lizards! Not sure if they wanted me to feed them, or they thought I was the food!
BTW...what is the correct term for a large group of lizards?

I would call a large group of lizards a herd. At least that is what I call the large groups of lizards that inhabit my backyard.
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.