Snow Conditions, Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snow Conditions, Kings Canyon

Post by gdurkee »

Campers:

A friend of mine flew much of Kings to LeConte, taking photos along the way. Here's his brief report:
I was on a helicopter flight on Wednesday[6/6] to LeConte Ranger Station for Hazard Tree mitigation and was able to photograph much of the high country conditions. In general, the snow line is at 9,500'-10,000' with patchy snow down to 8,000'. Almost every lake I saw, except for East Lake, was 80-100% frozen. The snow depth was considerable in many of the north facing slopes and canyons with little or no rocks showing. All of the major passes in Kings Canyon were 100% snow except Kearsarge. Elizabeth, Granite, Glen and Mather Passes looked like March or April conditions. The rivers are all running very high and numerous snowbridges are apparent. I took images of the Ranger Stations at LeConte, Bench, Rae Lakes, and Charlotte Lake.
I looked at the photos, it's pretty solid out there. Winter for sure above 10,000 -- or very early spring. Dusy Creek, for instance, is running very high. I would expect severe problems at Evolution Creek, South Fork (below Upper Basin); Wallace Creek; Rock Creek (the log collapsed last year). No way you can get to East Lake across Bubbs at Junction Meadow.

I don't think any of this will be crossable for 3 weeks.

If I can, I'll post a couple of the photos, but transferring them from the NPS Server may be a hassle for me (got to work between two computers...).

Hike safely!

George
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

:eek:

thanks!!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Wow! Three weeks puts us at the end of June already!

So, George, any feel for what it might be like by the end of July? I'll be starting the JMT on 7-31-06 out of Yosemite. I realize that a lot can change in a four-week period in the summer. I'm just a little concerned about snow on the passes and stream crossings....and hoping you'll say that historically even when there's been this much snow in June, that it's normally fine by August. (?)

Bummer, I'll bet the San Joachin crossing at Blaney Meadows is gonna be impossible; and I was hoping to make it over to the hot springs. Oh well.

Thanks!
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Thanks George! Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;