Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Meadow via SHR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mpeters
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Meadow via SHR

Post by mpeters »

Hi HST forum,

New guy here(still classified as a lurker) and was drawn here by research on the SHR.For those of you that may be interested, onthetrail.org has some good links/info regarding the SHR.

A friend and I are planning to travel from Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Mdws via the SHR the first week of September. We plan on 5 trail days with Labor Day as a possible "extra" day if needed. I'll be pinging the group for trail conditions/advice as our departure day nears.

I'm primarily interested in photography(my friend wants to fish) and i'm still trying to pare down my camera kit to a manageable weight. A little hard to do when taking the full size tripod/DSLR/lenses.

As an aside -- how long does it take to gain the necessary permission to view pictures embedded in other member's posts?

HST is a very cool site for all things Sierra. I'll be sure to pass the web address along.

Thanks
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Meadow via SHR

Post by ERIC »

Hi mpeters; welcome aboard!

Hadn't run across that site yet. Thank you for the pointer.
As for your question about photos - as far as I know, so long as you have an account and are logged in you should be able to view posted photos. If you're having issues, please start a thread in the Technical Questions forum and we'll see what we can do for you.

Cheers,
ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Devil's Postpile to Tuolumne Meadow via SHR

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

From what I've heard, the SHR often takes you over routes that are harder than necessary for historical reasons. So, from Mineret Lake to Cecile, you can avoid the chimney by taking the use trail to the right.

Also, note that White Bark Pine Pass above Nydiver (I think it's called) is a chute of loose talus on the north side. Take your time!