Conditions: Sabrina Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
charneydanysh
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Conditions: Sabrina Lakes Basin

Post by charneydanysh »

Does anyone know what the stream crossings are like from Sabrina Lake up along the trail to Blue Lake, and Midnight Lake? How about the mosquitoes? We are planning a trip there the week of August 8, and I am an anxious stream crosser. Last summer of 2010, the log jam stream crossing at Blue Lake was manageable for me. Is that crossing, or any of the others much more difficult this year?
Thanks
Ava
atreehugger
Topix Acquainted

Re: Conditions: Sabrina Lakes Basin

Post by atreehugger »

Was up there weekend of July16. Water crossing from George Lake is 6". Crossed outlet of Blue Lake mid-afternoon. Water was up to knee and no current...easy. If have better balance than me, can cross on logs. When returned,around noon ,crossing was 1' deep. Easily crossed on log fragments. I'd expect wet feet crossings above Dingleberry but nothing deep and dangerous.
I went XC and camped at 10,850' on a knob away from any water source and had a breeze...no skeeters. In this area, looked like ~50 % snow coverage above 11'000'.
You shouldn't have any problems with creek crossings. Bring plenty of deet ...just in case.
charneydanysh
Topix Novice

Post by charneydanysh »

Thank you so much for the information from your trip on July 16; the stream crossing conditions seem more encouraging than I had expected. Thanks again,
Ava
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Crossing the drainages before noon is the best, though its not always possible if you have a tight schedule. Crossing the Passes is the same - the earlier the better. By afternoon, the drainage are much bigger and stronger... the snow and scree much more unstable.
charneydanysh
Topix Novice

Post by charneydanysh »

Thanks for the caution about crossing the drainages and passes earlier in the day.
In the next two weeks, any further information about the conditions of the Sabrina Lakes Basin trails and streams would be greatly appreciated. We were planning to go the week of August 8, hiking from Sabrina to Blue to Midnight.
Thanks,
Ava