Pine Creek Closure

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Pine Creek Closure

Post by Flux »

While getting a permit at ML ranger station on 7/11 I heard something about Italy Pass getting wiped out or something to that effect.

Maybe I heard it wrong and it was that mine thing, not sure. But Italy pass was mentioned.
Wild Bill
Topix Acquainted

Post by Wild Bill »

The problem in Pine Creek Canyon is lower down. Before I was cancelled out, I worried about the creek crossing just below Pine Lake. All my aerial photos (from July 14) show solid snow from Honeymoon Lake to Lake Italy. I didn't even see a dry patch of ground big enough to pitch a tent.

My source flew directly over Italy Pass. I didn't see anything on Italy Pass in the pics that looked like damage/rockslide/etc. It was just snow all the way. Perhaps when the trail opens next month, there will be sufficient melting/thawing. Hopefully...
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Then I heard it wrong Bill. One of the women at the ML ranger station mentioned Italy Pass being closed due to the trail being messed up. I assumed something happened up high as Italy pass is just one piece of the puzzle up there.

Either way, that sucks.

I saw some photos in another thread here from the 23rd of June and there wasn't even a small sign of a lake in French Canyon. Crazy really.