Camping: Sunrise Lakes Area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camping: Sunrise Lakes Area

Post by ChinMusic »

Where around the three lakes is the sweet spot for camping? I'm taking my daughter there in week.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Camping: Sunrise Lakes Area

Post by bheiser1 »

There are some established campsites round by the lower lake, and I think the upper lake as well. Just don't expect much solitude :).

Here's a view of the lower lake from one of the sites. This shot is looking easterly. There are more sites over to the left (north) by the trail.
_DSC6317.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Lower Lake - most populated - IMHO nicest too - some isolated sites West side - (just over rocks on left side of picture) - initially tempting, but southeast side - slabs, over the big rock (swimming area) is best...Just behind (south) and to the right of where above picture taken.

Middle Lake - some good isolated sites northeast side, behind the big trees. BTW, best fishing of all 3 lakes can be found here off north/northeast shore.

Upper Lake - alas, never stopped here as always too close to the HSC and all that goes with.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Don't be surprised if there's still a bunch of snow... Meadows will be boggy and buggy, too.
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

At the upper lake there are a couple of decent campsites just across the outlet stream (one under the trees with a fire ring, one more open with better views). Nice views up there and I found it pretty quiet (less people up from Tenaya and/or using it as a base camp for Clouds Rest). The upper lake isn't as good for swimming as the lower lake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi ChinMusic

Best views are from western end of Lower Cathedral, and decent views overlooking
Upper Cathedral near the pass.
Sierra Maclure just posted some photo's in the "Conditions Updates" section above
which will give you an idea of what it will look like when you get there.
Last edited by maverick on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org