Mt. Silliman

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Silliman

Post by iHartMK »

Has anybody been up on Mt. Silliman recently?

We are planning on doing a loop backpacking trip the first weekend of August. Entering at Rowell Meadow... through sheep camp lakes by way of Ball Dome... up Silliman Pass then hopefully
summiting Mt. Silliman via Silliman Pass. Then drop down to Silliman Lake and out through Lodgepole.
We are not planning on taking our crampons or ice axes.

Thanks for any feedback at all.
Living On Kaweah Time
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Silliman

Post by Coolbreeze »

Since no one's chimed in I thought I'd add what I could. Haven't been up there recently, but we were up there in early July of 1998 which was a comparable snow year. As I recall it was almost solid snow at and above the lake. Ditto for the pass. We had ice axes but no crampons and it was really easy going. Since you'll be there a month later my guess is it will have melted out pretty well by then and you won't need axes.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Have you seen photos of the area from the pass to Silliman? Rick Kent has some great images of the area as taken a long time ago (2003?) but still very useful for the ascent from the pass to the summit. I've only ascended/descended via the slabs so can't comment otherwise.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Haven't climbed Mt.Silliman, but would highly recommend visiting Lost Lake if
you have the time, prettiest lake with a trail to it in SEKI.
These may help if you haven't all ready seen then:
http://www.summitpost.org/mt-silliman-m ... s/p-623811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org/mt-silliman-m ... s/p-513296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Coolbreeze »

Conditions update via NPS:

7/12: Silliman Pass: North side is covered in snow. South side may be as well. Trail to Comanche Meadow has many downed trees making it difficult for hikers and impassable to stock.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go up and do a day hike tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes when I return.
Living On Kaweah Time