Will this trip even be possible next week?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AuburnPhil
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Will this trip even be possible next week?

Post by AuburnPhil »

First of all, thank you for this site, I have learned much about current conditions in the Sierra already. For months we have been planning to take a week long loop trip from the East over Mono Pass, down Mono Creek, up over Silver Pass, then to Tully Hole, and out over McGee Pass to McGee Creek. We are scheduled to start on July 24. I've done this twice before at about this time of year, but obviously this year is a killer with the snow and overlarge streams. Putting it off a month would be ideal, but we can't - and we are traveling a long way to get there. Right now, I don't think any of these passes are open, but I'm hoping that at least Mono Pass will open up by then, and maybe Silver. I expect the big problem to be McGee Pass and all the tremendous fords we'll be facing. Any and all info and reports will help us a great deal. Thank you in advance.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Will this trip even be possible next week?

Post by Mike M. »

AuburnPhil, this route is possible now if you aren't put off by having to plow through fields of suncups. By July 24, most of the snow will be gone from these passes, peak snow melt will have passed, and the big issue might be mosquitoes.

Enjoy and please post a trail report!

Mike
AuburnPhil
Topix Newbie

Post by AuburnPhil »

Wow! That's very encouraging. We'll go forward. If any other readers who have seen these passes recently have something to add, that would be great! I will post a trip report on our return on August 1. Thanks!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thinking about starting a trip over Mono Pass next week also. We would like to hike to VVR and then work our way back hitting some of the side canyons to fish. Balzaccom's report about hiking up Mono Creek reported that the water crossings near VVR were pretty bad. Has anyone been over Mono Pass yet or at least be able to add to what Mike M. wrote? I'm really hoping that the snow melt has peaked and the flows are dropping.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray