Bishop Pass & Dusy Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass & Dusy Basin

Post by js hill »

Does anyone know of the snow conditions going up and over Bishop Pass? I was wondering what the stream crossing conditions would be. I know as you leave Dusy Basin there is a steel bridge to cross Dusy Creek but aways past the bridge you have to boulder hop across the creek again. We are leaving on the 28th of this month and heading north on the JMT. Any info on Muir Pass and other stream crossings would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help. js hill
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop Pass & Dusy Basin

Post by maverick »

NPS Update 7/8: Each year, Palisade Creek and Middle Fork Kings River are impassable
until early August. The creek crossing on the Dusy switchback is still very difficult. It's
thigh-deep, moving fast, & frothy white. It is recommended for advanced crossers ONLY.
An alternate way to cross is upstream - rock-hopping and willow thrashing - very
challenging. Snowline for Upper LeConte is 10,000 ft. As of 6/30: The crossing below
the footbridge between Dusy Basin and LeConte Ranger Station may be completely
impassable. 85% snow over Bishop Pass from Long Lake to Dusy Basin.

Also from Cgunderson, a HST member who was out in this area 6/23-7/3, wrote:
One Dicey Spot: The descent from Dusy is complicated by the huge creek flow below
the bridge. The lower crossing is a pain, but there are cairns marking spots that one
can cross upstream from the trail. It's still awkward with full packs, so use care!
Last edited by maverick on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

js,
I'm guessing in 18 days things will be better. A trail crew was camped off the lower part of the Dusy trail (above Le Conte Canyon) and although they were supposed to be focusing on the JMT south of Dusy, I'd not be surprised if they got a call to help shore up the lower crossing of Dusy Creek. If there is no firm word on the status when you go in, my advice would be to camp in lower Dusy basin and then hit the lower creek crossing early when it will be running slower. Although we were in solid snow from about 10 K ft on up, we came out on July 3rd and things will have melted a lot by the time you go in. Still, I'd guess you'll see plenty of snow during the final ascent of Bishop pass.
cg
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

I called the Lone Pine Ranger Station and talked to a ranger about the trail conditions. He said there is a group of rangers hiking the Bishop Pass, Dusy Basin. Le Conte Canyon area. He said they will be back at the end of this week and for me to call him to get updated information. I'll pass on the info when I get it. js
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I would appreciate that, js. I will be setting out July 27 over Piute and returning via Bishop Pass (N-S loop), so the information you get will be very helpful to me.
Winters Tom
Topix Newbie

Post by Winters Tom »

Greetings -

Any further word on trail conditions? We are a party of 5 on a Bishop Pass-Larmarck Col loop, entering August 1. Wondering whether we should be thinking in terms of a Piute Pass return rather than Lamarck.

Thanks for any intel -

Tom
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Check the Backcountry Conditions thread at the top. Some entries on Bishop pass a couple weeks ago.