Upper Twin Lake-Kaiser Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
new2bckpcking
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Upper Twin Lake-Kaiser Wilderness

Post by new2bckpcking »

Hi! My boyfriend, myself and another couple will be backpacking to Twin Lakes tomorrow morning and coming out Sunday. This is my boyfriend and I's second trip and the other couples first. We were originally going to hike out of the Potter Pass trailhead but are now thinking of leaving out of Sample Meadow instead because it looks to be less steep (although it's longer). Any suggestions?
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

new2bckpcking wrote:....We were originally going to hike out of the Potter Pass trailhead but are now thinking of leaving out of Sample Meadow instead because it looks to be less steep (although it's longer). Any suggestions?
Both routes are quite nice and relatively straight forward and simple. Starting from Sample is pleasnat (nice meadow and views) and indeed has less gradient, but as you note is a bit longer. Elevation gains are about the same, ~ 800 feet, because while you start lower at Sample (~7,800') and dont cross the Pass, you are about 400' higher (~8,200') when you start from the Potter Pass trail. You do have to ford Kaiser Creek to come from the Sample side, which Im guessing will be flowing pretty good with all the snow this year, but Kaiser is typically an easy ford even early. Either choice will be fun. If you have two cars, you could go in one way, and out the other. Bring lots of skeeter repellant, because while they werent out a few weeks ago when I was up there, with all the melting snow it wont be long.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
new2bckpcking
Topix Newbie

Post by new2bckpcking »

Great, thanks! What about going in on the California Hiking and Riding trail and merging with the Potter Pass trail? Have you done that one? Is it harder/easier, better/worse?
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I'm not familiar with the CR&H trail n2bp as Ive only gone in to the Kaiser Wilderness on the two trails you queried as well as two other dayhikes, one from Kaiser Pass to Idaho lake and the other from FS road 7S81 to Long Lake. If you are referring to the cutoff trail that starts a couple of miles west (downhill) on Hwy 168 and then joins the Potter Pass trail near the Pass, then I would say that route would be fine as well, but you are adding on about 400' of elevation gain to your trek. Seems like either of the other two would be simpler.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead