Rae Lakes Loop - July 4th - River Crossings & Snow levels

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lakes Loop - July 4th - River Crossings & Snow levels

Post by JosiahSpurr »

@Michelettib, almost no mosquitoes where I hammocked July 1, 2 and 3, Friday near Mist Falls (a no-no), Saturday by the granite benches just before Woods Creek intersects PcT/JmT, and Sunday in a stand of massive trees above from Charlotte Lake. Did the Rae Lakes Loop last 4th July 2011 weekend clockwise (started Friday 6pm and got back to Road's End Monday 4pm). Going up the north side of Glen Pass was the best. I stuck to the left of the left-most rock outcrop and got an amazing view of the frozen lake w/ blue outer ring under Painted Lady -- it looked almost straight down (gulp). There were lots of hikers. There were about 5 fast stream crossings (easily crossed by the experts). In the afternoon I didn't need crampons to easily walk on snow surface to get up the north side of Glen Pass (an ice axe helped for balance & pulling uphill). Two PCT hikers coming from Mexico lost the trail due to spotty snow above Charlotte Lake so I gave them my Mt Clarence King 7.5" map. Going counter-clockwise, the last mile up the south side of Glen Pass should be easy with all that snow and footprints.
SierraTransplant
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by SierraTransplant »

Michelettib wrote:Your trip sounded great! I am heading up to Rae Lakes in a week and was wondering how the skeeter population was? I figure it can't be much worse then a trip I had last summer in Yosemite High Sierras. It won't deter me but was just wanting to be mentally prepared. Thanks!
Skeeters were pretty pad below 9k feet. I didn't notice them as much above. I camped next to a few groups each night and they seemed to handle them better than I did. I pretty much setup my tent and immediately hid inside of it, but I also intentionally hiked as late as possible so I'd have little down time at the campsites.
Michelettib
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Michelettib »

Thanks for the updates! Sounds like your trip was great, looking forward to getting out there as we have never been to that part of King's Canyon.