Stampede Res., Sage Hen Mdw, Prosser Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Stampede Res., Sage Hen Mdw, Prosser Valley

Post by East Side Hiker »

Has anyone been up to the Stampede Res., Sage Hen Mdw, Prosser Valley regions yet? I guess you could call the region the Low High Sierra...
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stampede Res., Sage Hen Mdw, Prosser Valley

Post by rlown »

East Side Hiker wrote:Has anyone been up to the Stampede Res., Sage Hen Mdw, Prosser Valley regions yet? I guess you could call the region the Low High Sierra...

Just got back from Davis Lk an hour ago, and drove through that area.. just before the storm hit.. What would you like to know, ESH?
ChrisF
Topix Newbie

Post by ChrisF »

This area was great the last 2 weekends - the Camas lilies at the west end of the lake are beautiful!! Likely no snow left now.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I was looking for info on snow conditions, but most importantly, as some of you know, I'm interested the Blue Camas. ChrisF - which lake are you referring to? Thank you all.
ChrisF
Topix Newbie

Post by ChrisF »

The West end of Stampede Reservoir is where I saw lots of Camas Lilies.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No snow. No skeeters to speak of, but all the pastures/meadows are flooded and the lakes are as full as I've ever seen. skeeters will be ticking up fast though..

Storm put the fishing down a bit.. still managed some stockers.. The bald eagles and osprey were doing better than I. Amazing bird life up there..

The eagles were more impressive. The male missed first, and his mate came down and grabbed a 16" fish, and then circled up 4000' following her mate to the west, to whereever they live.

This was the same fish an osprey hit first, but had to drop it as it was too heavy.

A pelican was eyeing my stringer.. :\

Quite a show..
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Love watching ospreys dive for fish. Never seen eagles do it, but I imagine it's even more impressive.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

forgot to mention.. when the sun was out, a hatch was on. The gold country fly club was there in force..Wed was probably a great day.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Just got back from 2 1/2 days doing the Carson Pass-Ebbitts Pass loop. Hope Valley has a good Blue Camas show, but just in decline. No Hesperocaulus californicus yet. Alpine buttercup sporadic there, but abundant in the Stanislaus in Bear Valley. Sulfer buckwheat, Calochortus, Allium, pretty face, spring beauty, various rosacea herbs, bitter cherry, various penstemons, iris, lupines, scarlet gilia, Ceanothus, elderberries, phlox, various Calochortus, Indian paintbrush, etc., etc... Fritillaria over, at least below 5,500' on west side. But all looking good. Water everywhere above 7,000'. Rivers over bank-full. High lakes seen from the road (i.e. Mosquito Lake) still full of ice.

Mid Aug. will be good, but the mosquitoes will be out in force above 8,000'.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ESH, read your PM's from time to time..