Advice on a 3 Night/4 Day Loop in early August

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kearnj
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Advice on a 3 Night/4 Day Loop in early August

Post by kearnj »

Hi everyone,

A buddy and I are traveling to the Bay Area from Ohio at the beginning of August, and while initially we wanted to do some backpacking in Yosemite, we decided that we’d look into other less popular hikes in the nearby national parks. I was doing research on SEKI, and soon after I joined this board I realized that wasn’t a viable option because of the remaining snowpack.

We’re both 28, in good health, and I’m a level 3 while my friend is a level 1-2, basically a novice but definitely into hiking (including steep grades). However, this will be his first extended backpacking experience.

I was doing some research to find something along the lines of a 3 night loop (short hike first day) and then two solid days of 10-12 miles, and then day 4 we would hike out. We’re comfortable with Class 3 terrain, but since my friend will be with me I don’t want to beat him up too much.

We’re interested in experiencing the Sierras, which to me includes lakes, forests and big mountain scenery if possible. But we don’t want to delve into snow travel; we get plenty of that 8 months out of the year here in Ohio.

I’ve been reading other peoples trip reports and I came across Tim’s that he did with his two kids in Mammoth Lakes. I was thinking this is the perfect distance, about 31 miles or so, and if we don’t have to worry about screwing around with permit reservations it would be ideal. Not to mention it would be a nice hike for somebody like my buddy who’s new at this sort of thing.

I’d appreciate any of your thoughts or other suggestions.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice on a 3 Night/4 Day Loop in early August

Post by maverick »

Hi Kearnj

Welcome to HST!
Places in Yosemite, and SEKI will be much more accessible by August, except for the
very remote high country locations, and passes will still have lingering snow.
Tim's trip is very pretty, and a good option (views from Duck Pass, and of Pika Lake
are both beautiful).
Another trip out of Mammoth: Agnew Meadow-Shadow Lake-Lake Ediza-1000 Is Lake-
Agnew Meadow via High Trail
This a also gorgeous trip that includes some of the best peaks (Minarets), lakes (Ediza,
1000 Is Lake)in the Sierra.
From the west in SEKI out of Sunset Meadow-Seville Lake-Lost Lake (prettiest lake with
trail to in the park)-Silliman Pass-Twin Lakes-Sunset Meadow
Add a day, and you can do the Rae lakes Loop (approx 40 miles): Roads End-Paradise
Valley- Rae Lake(2 nights)-Glen Pass-Junction Meadow-Roads End
Last edited by maverick on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sentence length
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kearnj
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on a 3 Night/4 Day Loop in early August

Post by kearnj »

Thanks for your suggestions Maverick.