beginner's question (again): filter if boiling?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

beginner's question (again): filter if boiling?

Post by guyd »

I've read that it is not necessary to first filter the water intended to be boiled for rehydrating a meal or hot coffee? Do you agree?

I will have a filter anyway, for drinking water...
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beginner's question (again): filter if boiling?

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

The process of boiling kills anything nasty in the water. No need to filter first.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wikipedia: "Boiling for water sterilization"
"Boiling can be used as a method of water disinfection but is only advocated as an
emergency water treatment method, or as a method of portable water purification
in rural or wilderness settings without access to a potable water infrastructure.
Bringing water to the boil is effective in killing or inactivating most bacteria, viruses
and pathogens. Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms. According
to the Wilderness Medical Society[citation needed], water temperatures above 160 F
(70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes.
So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from
160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. To be extra safe, let the
water boil rapidly for one minute, especially at higher altitudes since water boils at a lower temperature."
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

When I collect water for boiling, I pour it through a zip loc baggie with a corner cut out and a handiwipe inserted in the baggie to act as a physical filter for sediment. Boiling does the disinfecting, but it won't remove the floatsam that often gets suspended into the collected water, even if collected from below the surface film.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AnotherSteve
Topix Newbie

Post by AnotherSteve »

There is quite a bit a research, I believe some on this website, that shows that filtering or boiling Sierra water is not necessary. I filter more for sediment than for sanitation and rarely filter drinking water along the trail. Bob Blakwell (Mr. Whitney) published an article 5+ years ago on this subject and Backpacker Magizine had an article around the same time (but waffled on their recommendation).
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I never filter water.

Mike
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I always filter drinking water. Giardia was bad enough once, I don't want to repeat the experience.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Mike M. wrote:I never filter water. Mike
Same here, mostly. There are places, highly impacted by people and stock, where I always bring a filter along. Mostly, clear water above 5000 feet with its origins somewhere above not impacted by people/stock is OK to drink and is far better than tap water. This has worked for me for over 20 years when I stopped automatically bringing a water filter. Be choosy about your sources.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I always filter drinking water. Giardia was bad enough once, I don't want to repeat the experience.
Me too...been there done that one time & it was enough to make me always filter my water.
Semper Fi!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Water Treatment in the Backcountry: http://www.highsierratopix.com/411_water_treatment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix