Mineral King Dayhike - May 30th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey Snowy, thanks for the tip on how to Marmotize my car. Next time I am going to try your technique.

I have been to MK 5 or 6 times and didn't have problems before. There used to be a woman in the cabin near the trailhead that would scare the Marmots away from the cars. I had hoped for more hikers that day thinking the odds of a Marmot attack on my car would be reduced if more cars were present (so much for that logic).

Giantbrookie - that's quite something to have been on Sawtooth peak at the age of ten. I just got up there last year at the ripe age of 47.

And SSSdave, if you change your mind I bet there will still be ample snow for another week or two. I've seen and talked with several BC skiers last year. Two of them, a son and his Dad, hoofed it to the top of Empire mountain. I was envious to watch them zoom by and get to the bottom in short order.

Hey Buck - thanks for the kind words. I am still on the fence about buying a 30D. The snapshooter I used didn't like the fact everything was white - it turned the few green objects black?

Welll Doyle, I should know better but I tempted fate and lost.

Sorry to learn of your loss quentinc. I have found certain healing properties that only the mountains can provide.

Anyway, I now have that feeling of a necessary "do-over" - even if I have to scramble up the rubble pile from Crystal Lake this summer. I really enjoyed the day, especially walking along the snow lined knife edge ridge top. That in itself created some worthy memories.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Shawn - thanks for the pictures and report - very helpful and the pictures are beautiful. I just didn't think there would be that much snow so far south in the Sierra.