TR to the Lyle fork of the Merced River.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR to the Lyle fork of the Merced River.

Post by Cross Country »

In the summer of 82 my son Mike was less than 1 year old. My wife and I were school teachers. Kuzuko Ivie was Mike's daycare. The Ivie's had 2 sons, Phil and Gregg 14 and 12yo. In July of 82 I took them to Bearup and Edith (It's on HST). Phil loved it. Gregg complained a lot. In Aug Phil and I took a trip out of Tuolumne Mdws. Less then 1 mile up Lyle Canyon we saw something really remarkable and I got pictures.
We were hiking along the trail and scared a rabbit out of the brush. It ran a short way ahead of us and low and behold an eagle swooped down to nail this rabbit right in front of our eyes. When we approached them the eagle flew away and the rabbit scampered under a bush. By that time I had my camera out and we continued to walk. When we got close to the bush the rabbit ran out ahead of us and sure enough the hawk swooped down to nail the rabbit again. This time I was ready with my camera and this time the hawk killed the rabbit with talons to the brain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR pt 1

Post by oldranger »

Nice Job Tom!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR to the Lyle fork of the Merced River. pt 1

Post by Cross Country »

pt 2: We hiked on to the Rafferty Creek junction and headed to T. Pass, Vo. HSC, past Lewis Creek and headed cross country to the Lyle Fork and Florence Lake. The pass to Florence was a really fun and interesting pass. We arrived at the Lake and camped there. We had a fish dinner from the lake. The next day we hiked to the upper lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

pt 3
The following day we hiked to the lakes above Hutching Creek. We had a fish dinner the next 2 nights too. We next took another LO day and hiked around the lakes and above. I took pics the entire trip but can't find any more than these, which is a real shame.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

pt 4 (last)
The next day we hiked over to the lakes below electra peak (no fish), hiked down to the river below where I took my favorite picture ever. It's hanging on my wall and I can't find the smaller verson. We continued down the river passing the trail. Slightly below the trail we saw something (can't find these pics either) really rare to see. We ran across a dead dear which had gashes taken out of it's side (it's flank?) which had killed it. It was half in and half out of the water. It smelled bad. We drank water and filled our bottles above the dear and continued down the river. We didn't drink from the river again until our bottles were empty and we were quite thirsty. The next day we hiked down to the trail, took the cutoff to Fletcher creek and past Emeric Lake. Near the outlet of the lake is the only place in the Sierra that I saw what I believe to be incorrect topo lines. We camped on the creek and the next day hiked out.

tom
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR to the Lyle fork of the Merced River.

Post by Cross Country »

Here is for those who missed the 1st 2 pics.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR to the Lyle fork of the Merced River.

Post by maverick »

Love that ridge line shot up under the Mt. Lyell area, CC.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org