Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

Post by quentinc »

Yeah, that PCT section around what you describe as the frozen lake was confusing -- footprints diverged in all directions. Two weeks ago that stretch was really bad, as I was post-holing most of the way in the late afternoon. But things really are melting fast.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Any guesses what is likely to be snow free by late next week? All the way to Soldier Lakes?
We're headed up there over July 4 weekend (like a vast number of other people I would expect) and are wondering if there will be enough snow to need gaiters.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

My guess is that there will still be enough snow that you would be more comfortable with mini-gaiters. Also, if the two creeks along the way are any higher than last weekend, you may need to wade a step or two. And bring lots of DEET! There will probably be an entire infantry of mosquitoes in the Soldier Lake area.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

It might not be totally snow free by late next week, but the route finding won't be difficult because most of the trail, or a significant amount in snowy places will be visible. Most of the snow is consolidated and gaiters are nice but not required. Since there is a lot of snow melt and run off on the trail, I would avoid shoes/boots with mesh siding.
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Thanks for the TR Old Hiker...much appreciated! Got any pics to share? We are headed up there as well next weekend for a 6 day trip. Did Langley or the Joe Devel/Pickering/Newcomb peaks look doable without ice axes & crampons?
Semper Fi!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Langley was doable (and done) 2 weeks ago without crampons or an axe. Joe Devel and Pickering had way more snow, so those might need it.
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice

Post by Old_Hiker »

I'll post some pics in the next couple days.

I was really upset that I had so much trouble finding the trail at times, since I had a fancy map gps with me. I re-visited my maps and looked up my 'John Muir wilderness' paper maps - each one is about 3' x 6' and saw my topo7 maps were off by > 100 ft at times. No wonder I had so much trouble!

I didn't see many people. I saw a young lady with her border collie Thursday. The dog really liked the snow! I also saw four Australians. Had trouble understanding them at times!
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

I'll be using a Delorme PN-60W with TOPO 9.0. Hope it is more "on-trail" than your gps was. Looking forward to seeing your pics Old Hiker!

Thanks for the new pics Q! You have got me rarin to go...just hope the skeeters hold back somewhat until after I am outta there!
Semper Fi!
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice

Post by Old_Hiker »

Posting pics from trip. Had my sony dsc-hx7v on auto mode so the snow shots aren't that good. The hi-def video looks great! First time doing it so here goes:

The snow above Chicken Springs Lake:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64455146@N05/5870770378/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The view from just below Chicken Springs looking toward Rock Creek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64455146@N05/5870212373/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The view looking past Siberian Pass:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64455146@N05/5870212131/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chicken Springs Lake:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64455146@N05/5870769766/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Soldier Lake:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64455146@N05/5870769238/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Thanks a lot O-H! Still a bit more white stuff than I really want, but should definitely add to the spirit of the adventure! Just 6 more days...can't wait!
Semper Fi!