Sierra High Route in early July

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lailka
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sierra High Route in early July

Post by Lailka »

Hi,
I'm a french hiker and I was planning to do a part of the Sierra High Route (from Cedar Grove to Yosemite) from June 29th to July 16th. According to all report, this year is a very snowy year and I'm wondering if this trip is still feasible.

I'm an experienced walker and comfortable with x-country travel, navigation, horrible weather etc. I'm not an alpinist but snow doesn't afraid me.

Do you think that doing this route this year at this time is still possible ? Do I need to carry crampons and/or Ice axe ?

Is the Jmt south to north a better idea ?

Thanks in advance :wink:
Marche ou crève
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra High Route in early July

Post by RoguePhotonic »

When you say Cedar Grove to Yosemite does that mean you will stop your hike at Tuolumne Meadows?

Of course it's possible but it depends completely on your skill and what sort of experience you want from it. Your time frame will have you on snow most of the way. The passes will be dangerous and an ice axe and crampons would be good. Any water crossings will also be extreme.
Lailka
Topix Novice

Post by Lailka »

I was planning to leave the SHR near Merced lake and then going down to Yosemite.

In view of the snow level, do you think 17 days will be enough to reach Yosemite ? What will be the most dangerous passes according to you ?

I'm not looking for an easy cross country travel but I just want to be sure what to expect and what kind of appropriate gear to bring.
Marche ou crève
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are you talking about Roper's High Route? The Sierra High Route goes between Crescent Meadow and Whitney Portal.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Lailka

Welcome to HST!
As you know this is a big snow year, especially from the central sierra, and up.
If your looking forward to a lot of snow, do not mind carrying an ice axe, maybe
crampons, and dealing with difficult creek crossings, but no mosquitoes, then go for
it.
Frozen Lake Pass, and Snow Tongue Pass are some of the more difficult passes
with Snow Tongue Pass being the worst, some areas will be easier with snow
coverage, especially once the snow is softer later in the day, but then you have
suncups to deal with in other areas.
If you prefer thawed lakes, no really difficult creek crossings, beautiful wildflowers
displays, mosquitoes, and more people, than go later in the year.
Both seasons are different, but beautiful, it all depends what your looking for, and
what your comfort/experience levels are.
17 days should be fine, Muir Ranch will be open for resupply pickups on 20th of
June.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD wrote The Sierra High Route goes between Crescent Meadow and Whitney Portal."

That's the High Sierra Trail, from Crescent to Whitney.
Sierra High Route is from Road's End to Twin Lakes.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lailka
Topix Novice

Post by Lailka »

Thank you for all yours advices Maverick

My flights are already booked so I don't have the choice, I will be there in early July :/

My last destinations were Iceland, Scotland and Norway so I'm definitely more looking for extreme wilderness, harsh landscape than beautiful wildflowers and lots of people around :D

Do you think that crampon are a must have ? I'm afraid by the weight of a pair of crampons so if I dont really need them, I would prefer not to have them.
Marche ou crève
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lailka wrote "Do you think that crampon are a must have ? I'm afraid by the
weight of a pair of crampons so if I dont really need them, I would prefer not
to have them."

As long as you wait till later in the mornings for the hard ice to soften you'll be all right
with out them.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What you have going for you is lots of daylight! I think 17 days will involve long days given the snow. You do have many options, though. If you get far behind schedule, you can leave at Reds Meadow. There is good public transportation to get back to Yosemite. You could also switch to the PCT at Red's Meadow if you were just a little behind, and go out to Tuolumne Meadows. In fact there are several places where you can make up time by simply switching to the PCT. You may have to camp on snow in a few places- take an appropriate sleeping pad. I think Snow Tongue Pass is actually easier with snow on it. I think Cirque Pass could be harder with snow- it is very slabby and cliffy. You will need to be very careful about avoiding passes early AM. I did the route last year in August, without crampons, and had to wait several hours at a few passes for the snow to soften (Cecile Lake to Iceberg Lake was the worst). Last year, Ritter Lakes were totally snow, even in August. I do not think you need crampons, maybe an ice axe ( you definitely will have some very steep snow), definitely trekking poles (to help at river crossings). River crossings are going to be high. As for wading shoes- I think you are going to have wet feet at any rate because of the snow, so may as well just cross in your boots. Take extra socks. You can always mail extra gear home when you hit Reds Meadow. Also tons of mosquitoes possible - I always take a head net.
Lailka
Topix Novice

Post by Lailka »

Thank for yours responses :) So, I will definitely bring an ice Axe but no crampons.
Do you think that :
*7 days between roads end and Muir trail ranch
*5 days between Muir trail ranch and reds meadow
*5 days between reds meadow and Yosemite
Is a good timing ?
I'm not familiar with snow camping. I have a tarp style tent : a Shangrila-2. Do I need to bring special stakes ?
Marche ou crève