2-3 day loop in sequoia/kings canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2-3 day loop in sequoia/kings canyon

Post by SSSdave »

All you are going to get with that kind of question given current conditions is ill advised suggestions for going places that are snowy, soggy, wet, or chilly. Often by those who don't have much a sense of elevations. So broaden your Southern Sierra possibilities for areas well below the national parks and any snow.

I could provide a long list of lower and mid forest trails and destinations though most locations are infrquently or rarely used for backpacking. But this year is a perfect time to do so there. An example is the Ash Peaks Ridge trail in Sequoia National Park:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.53309,-118.83830&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One reason I know about many of these places is for years I've searched out about rarely hiked places for wildflowers and in autumn, tree species with changing leaves. The above trail for instance has wonderful big leaf maple and Pacific dogwood and one is more likely to see a deer or bear than another person.

Another with definitely no snow haha, Garlic Falls trail from east of Pine Flat Reservoir:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.85912,-118.99498&z=15&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't even need a wilderness permit. Nice views of the river. Or better camp right along the river by driving on the south side of the Kings River to Mill Creek. Then cross the creek (small wade) and hike along the abandoned jeep road as far as desired then make camp. Won't be like wilderness as there is the dirt road on the other side of the big river but its a backpack and interesting.