Doyle - Graveyard Lakes Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Doyle - Graveyard Lakes Pass?

Post by krudler »

Hi Doyle -

I'd be very interested to hear your opinion on the "Graveyard Lakes Pass" (aka "Silver Fox Pass") from Graveyard Lakes to the Anne Lake/Peter Pande Lake area. I'm planning a trip to this area in late August and am very interested in using that shortcut. I've done x-c travel before but nothing quite like a "class 2" Sierra pass yet and I'm hoping it will be possible. I'd be going from Anne/Peter over to Graveyard (north->south direction).

I'm also hoping to do the short part of the High Route from Laurel Lake to Izaak Walton Lake (Roper's "parkland") via I think it's "Bighorn" and then Shout-of-Relief passes, above Mott and Rosy Finch lakes. I know in your Silver Divide story from 2001 you had mentioned wanting to do that, I was curious if you had the chance yet. I'd like to be able to pull that one off to as I really really really want to see Hortense Lake and that would the perfect route as I am going from Devil's Postpile to VVR (via PeterPande/Graveyard) and back on the 2-week trip in August. If the x-c passes are sketchy it's going to add some significant mileage to my trip if I intend to get to all these destinations.

Thanks for any input!!!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

I'm not Doyle, but as a fan of Doyle's site, I do know he has a trip on his site that speaks of what you're asking. Here it is, after he's already to Graveyard Lakes and going toward the pass you're asking about:

http://www.accesscom.com/~ddonehoo/sliver/silver09.htm
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Thanks Buck! I read that whole thing before, which is kind of what inspired me to ask about the pass. I'm not a wuss but I'm not sure how the getting up and over that (or actually, coming down from the direction I want to do) with a full pack is going to be, and in that story he went around and took Goodale Pass to get over.

Sure can't wait to visit all those lakes though!

Buck, I'm supposed to finally go to Tehipite the first week of October...I am so excited!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Yeah, I never intended to go over Gaveyard Lakes Pass on that trip, though if I went back with anybody I think I would take it. Just to do something different.
As trail-less passes go, I believe it is a fairly easy one, even a "real" class 2 pass. Lots of loose but not particularly dangerous stuff on the north side to slog through I am told. I would probably be comfortable doing it alone.
Naturally, going that way you would miss some for the fine features on the way to Panda, like the outstanding Wilber May Lake. Ah well, get it on the return leg. :)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Cool beans - thanks Doyle!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Ha! I forgot that he didn't drop down the other side, that he only climbed up one side... sorry, my bad! As for Tehipite, I may see you in October! But I'll be going up from the confluence of the MF/SF and walking up the canyon. The fishing should be sweet! It'll also be nice to walk around the valley and cross the river at will, with low flows.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Buck Forester wrote:... But I'll be going up from the confluence of the MF/SF and walking up the canyon. The fishing should be sweet! It'll also be nice to walk around the valley and cross the river at will, with low flows.
John Muir did it with a mule, on his way out of Tahipite, also late season. Ended up at Converse Basin and his first meal in over three days. He loved Tahipite as well.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Buck, at that time of year (with the lower flows) would you consider that "easier" than coming in the 15 or so miles via Rancheria/Crown Valley? Or is it crazy in its own right? Naturally there is some apprehension about the idea of going back up that trail on the canyon wall, so I'm always looking for options. I had figured that in a heavy snow year like this, even in October, going up the canyon would be tough as the M.Kings might still have a lot of water? It looks like an interesting route but it seems you would have to hit it at just the right time?
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

krudler, I guess it depends on what kind of adventure you're looking for. Going up the M.F. is challenging and slow-going and there's always the possibility the flows might be too high. The hike in from Rancheria is a sure bet, although it is uneventful until you hit the canyon rim. You can do the trail in a day, as I once hiked out of Tehipite Valley back to the trailhead in one long day, but if you have more time it's best to break it up a bit. But going up the canyon, although it's only a fraction of the mileage, will probably take a little more than a day. It sounds like lots of boulder hopping, wading, and occasional cliff climbing. I read a report on it once, I'll try and find it. It was in the fall sometime, I think September. The guy said he didn't see much trout but he wasn't a fisherman. Slogging up a creek mid-day isn't really the best way to spot trout, ha!

Okay, here's his report, from climber.org

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/1999/477.html
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

My turn. :cool: Heh...
Going up the river for someone who is not a fisherman is a little nutz I think. Rocks rocks rocks, pools, scrambling, snakes, poisen oak...lotsa work and a long way.
Going up the trail out of Tahipite is not so bad. Get up early if you think it's going to be hot. Just slog away. Right at the top of the switchbacks is an ideal place to drop packs and sit down to enjoy the views. Going down was worse: the front of the upper legs, ow! Going out we got back to the camps at Rodgers Creek just before Crown Valley. Tired? Yup.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails: