Heading out for honeymoon, need possible alt routes 6/6

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Heading out for honeymoon, need possible alt routes 6/6

Post by gochicagobears! »

Hey everyone!
Heading out for a short trip for our honeymoon and are intending on heading up from Jamison Mine Complex out of Graeagle and heading as far up as we can go towards Jamison Lake. (Can't believe my luck in marrying someone who loves backpacking enough to do it on our honeymoon! :D .) I was in the area a week ago golfing at The Dragon and the snow was non-existent at 5000', but am a bit concerned about once we get in a bit since the trailhead's at about 5300'.

Can any of the esteemed posters to this board suggest any alt routes? I'm trying to keep our options in the I-80/HWY 49 corridor... I've called a couple of the local ranger stations in the area but they haven't been much help, in the rare occasion that i've been able to speak to someone. The water exchange website doesn't have any station locators near the place either, save the Eureka Bowl and Gold Lake, which are at different elevations and not too comparable... We'd like it to be near/at a lake since she's into that kinda stuff, and I'd also like to do some fishing.

Any help is greatly appreciated since the time's getting close!!!!
Hope this finds you all well, and working out those winter kinks!

Al
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Heading out for honeymoon, need possible alt routes 6/6

Post by Cross Country »

I'm absolutely envious.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well.. Sardine lakes looks better than an off-trail slog for a honeymoon, but, that's just me. Looks lower, approachable, camp-able, fishable. I haven't been there in ages, but, still nice, if you get creative on where you camp.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You might look at the Grouse Ridge area off highway 20 (off 80, above Nevada City) that has a ton of lakes that are easy to hike to and from. Snow level right now is about 6000-6500 feet, so keep that in mind as you scan the topos...Most of the trail off the passes over the Sierra are higher than that.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

thanks, guys.
after calling the respective ranger stations for the suggested routes we've decided to do the hike to Rancheria Falls at Hetch Hetchy. neither of us have hiked that trail and the folks in Yosemite said it's been clear for a while given the low elev of 3800'. probably the best move since my future bride's has a fondness for waterfalls, and the ease of the hike itself.

will post a TR once completed.

again, thanks!

al
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Dayhiked that earlier in May. The bridges are done and the poison oak will be out and greenly glistening.

Hike in and out in the morning - full afternoon sun and the trail will be hot. And watch where you step, the snakes love to bask in the trail.

You'll have a great time... there are some pools out of the main part of the river that make for good soaking holes (not real swimming pool sized holes, but we liked 'em to get out of the mosquitos, which didn't seem to chase us into the water).
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Almost,
thanks. man, i hate 'skeeters...
hoping to do a bit of fishing and have read a couple reports here of some possibilities in the creeks and main body. not looking for epic hookups, but would love to catch a few nonetheless.

would love to hit the trail early on day 1, but we'll be staying the night before in the Sonora area, and don't want to harp on getting an early start too much since it'll be Day 2 of the marriage and that'd be a pretty ominous start to the honeymoon...
really looking forward to seeing that part of Yosemite. never been, and the pics of the falls and surrounding area look impressive.