Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin Backcountry Feasible in June?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Rae Lakes, 60 Lakes Basin Backcountry Feasible in June?

Post by quentinc »

Mike M. wrote:Doyle wrote:
I doubt that mosquitoes will be out in force in June. This year I will not expect them in numbers until late July and early August.
They will be out for sure earlier than you think.

Mike
I was in the Southern Sierra (Olancha Peak area -- TR to come later) and was surprised to not encounter any mosquitoes at all, despite trekking through numerous boggy meadows, at 8,000 - 9,000 feet. So it could be a while before they are out in force at higher elevations.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

I can't imagine you'll run into a single mosquito. Snow cover will likely be about 70% plus -- last year it was about that until the first of July and the snow pack is huge this year. It's the end of May and the melt has not begun. The Charlotte snow sensor is still showing 80" of snow. And everyone's right, you'd be really unhappy with snow shoes. The snow is too uneven and you'd have no real gain in flotation.

I would not recommend Dragon Pass. It'll save you no time and is pretty high angle in places.

That said, it's going to be really, really gnarly that early.

Good luck.

George
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

We went to Mist Falls today - group of frustrated backpackers on the way back out from Upper Paradise, too much snow. There was a snowbank across the trail at the falls.

Definitely one of those years.
MarmotPrince
Topix Novice

Post by MarmotPrince »

Thanks for the tips George,

Is Dragon pass that awful? I've read as much as possible but I do not have details about the west face of this pass...it looks epic on google earth. I've read the east side from trip reports, and it looks reasonable.

I come from Vancouver Island, there are glaciers at ~4000 feet and last year was 98% snow cover on the alpine in July. As long I'm not postholing, I will at least make it to the Basin.

I will take alot of pictures.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

I can't imagine you'll run into a single mosquito.
Not a single mosquito?? In late June, when the OP is planning to be in the area, skeeters are likely to be out in force. Night time temperatures will be the key -- if it stays above freezing, there will be skeeters aplenty especially at the edge of the snow melt. We're talking of elevations below 10,800' through much of this area.

Best to plan for this and if conditions are otherwise, it's all to the good.

Mike
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

There's a lot of loose rock on the west side of Dragon and, with the snow on the east, I just don't think it's worth it. Last year on June 25th, there was still 70% snow cover west of Kearsarge and in 60 Lakes, it was probably 80%. Last year was an average snow pack but with below normal May/June temperatures until about June 25th when the major melt finally started.

And, again depending on temperatures, the snow may be solid or you may be post-holing. My guess is not but we'll see... . That can get really annoying coming down Glen Pass.

This year there's way above normal snow pack (150% depending on the area) and similar low temperatures so far. And, sure, take a tiny bottle of mosquito repellant, but it was mid-July last year before I saw any at that elevation (I've been the Charlotte Ranger for the last 4 years).

Good luck.

George
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

The mosquitos come out when the Shooting Stars are flowering...
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Excellent observation East Side! Yes, that's been my experience (mostly) and they go away as they lose their flowers.

g.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Its going to snow again this weekend. Rae Lakes will be a x-country ski trip this June.