I wanna run this route by some experts

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: I wanna run this route by some experts

Post by East Side Hiker »

I think listening to WD and Maverick, and thinking about their comments, would be a good idea. If you are not prepared mentally, there could be serious problems. This is reminding me of the other x-country string...

Looking at a map and being there are two vastly different things. Like what has been said somewhere previously, sometimes a route that looks easy on a map can be dangerous if you don't know the country.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't listen to the HST sages. At some point, your choice becomes your responsibility, esp if you're a group leader. If you're "group hiking" or even solo, if it's not good, back off. In a group, if one has any kind of trepidation, you abort rather than push on. Pretty much common sense.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote "Pretty much common sense."

Yeah, which not all folks have Rlown.
How many times have you heard of folks getting into trouble because they "just had to
summit" or "we thought we were going the right way" after SAR brought them out.

Rlown wrote "If you're "group hiking" or even solo, if it's not good, back off. In a group, if
one has any kind of trepidation, you abort rather than push on."

Some guys when hiking together have something to prove to one another, and when that
machismo side kicks in, were talking ego city here, they will make rather irrational
decisions, and push themselves beyond there comfort levels.
I am not saying everyone is like this, and some who fell into this category may have had an
experience that put there ego in check some where down the line, or for most, age/maturity
finally kicks in.

Rlown wrote "I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't listen to the HST sages."

Of coarse we cannot make folks listen to us, but we can take pride in trying to give
valuable information that may come in handy out on the trail, or make a person rethink
there decision by looking at it from a different angle that they may not see.
We have rangers here who have invaluable amount of experience in the back country, and
many folks who have been visiting the back country since the 60's-70's.

You have mention numerous times that folks need to start some where, and that is
true.
When your young, a good boy scout group, later on, trips with the Sierra Club, or local
hiking clubs can be a good source to gain experience, and confidence.
IMO though, the best, is to go out with someone who is experienced, and you trust, to
show you the ropes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
manbartz
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by manbartz »

Trust me im listening.

Okay so I lack experience. Ill admit that. I would love to go deep into the sierra with an expert.

So what are you guys doing this summer?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

manbartz wrote:Trust me im listening.

Okay so I lack experience. Ill admit that. I would love to go deep into the sierra with an expert.

Organizing backpacking trips for my hiking group.

So far, three days this weekend into Ventana, four days in June to Hetch Hetchy, three days in Yosemite in July, and a week on Rae Lakes loop (with cross country side trips).

I want to jam a late season Mineral King four or five day into my schedule somehow, too. Took a four day last October and had every form of precipitation, plus a four hour lightning show at night.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

manbartz wrote:
I've got a 12 day fishing hike planned in late July, which the snow might hurt me at first, and then a 9 day in mid September out of North lake up towards Humprhreys Basin, followed by a week of hunting in the Trinity Alps.

Russ
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Well I got one extended trip pinned down, early season yosemite is turning into an annual event, but I am planning a solo hike after. Then my big solo trip of the year will be in one of three places if I can make up my mind!

You can teach yourself plenty. Explore with a daypack first. You don't want 30lbs on your back as you are experiencing steep, loose, large talus for the first time.

Slower is faster, start small and work your way to the grand vision