Western Sierra Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bluefintu
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Western Sierra Backpacking

Post by bluefintu »

First of all, (My first post,anywhere) Thank You for all the postings and all the information at this site!!! I'm a hiker, backpacker and fisherman, and that my backyard or home is the High Sierra.(Eastside) I'm not too familiar with the westside. With all the snow this year, I'm looking for someplace differnt. I have some new hikers that wants to do an easy hike(3-6 miles per day in mid-July) for five days. Fishing is a big plus, I'm not asking for your secret spots (not yet) but i'd like to see my son and friends bring their dinner back to camp.
Thanks Again To Everyone,
Don
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Western Sierra Backpacking

Post by oldranger »

BFT

Welcome aboard. Google and do a search on this site for Lillian or Lillian Lakes loop. This area should be low enough for mid july but mosquitos will be nasty.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bandito »

How far North are we talking? Whats the nearest NF to you?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi BFT

Welcome to HST!
I would recommend the Seville-Lost-Ranger-Twin Lakes Loop out of Sunset Meadow.
Your first day to Seville Lake is an easy 7 miles.
Lost Lake is another 3.7 miles, and Ranger Lakes another 3.8 miles.
Then from Ranger to trail junction is 5.5 miles over Silliman Pass.
On your last day it is 9 miles back to your car over JO Pass.
While at Lost Lake, which is the prettiest of all the lakes you can do a day hike up
to Sheep Camp Lakes, which are quite pretty, and have fish.
All these lakes, and the junction have bear boxes which will cut back on your backpack
weight.
Be prepared to deal with skeeterz, otherwise your first time hikers will become last
time hikers!
If you are not sure about how to deal with skeeterz than check previous posts about the
subject, which has been discussed numerous times, just use the search feature.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

BFT

Lost, Seville have fish. Ranger lake itself does not. All have mosquitos!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Thank you for the repys, I should have said somewhere south of Yosemite.

Old Ranger, i'm looking at my maps now and will do more research. Looks good for my group.
The last couple of years we hiked Hoover Wilderness area, they want to go back again this year too. I told them it's been a very good snow year, so we need something alittle lower. I have two new ones that want to go in July.

Maverick, Thanks for tip. Bugs are going to be bad all summer. It made a trip shorter with my son and I,add in hot weather at ten thousand foot level, we just could'nt take it.

Old Ranger, for some reason, if I come across a big pile of bear scat, I'm going to think of you. If I see something in there thats not supossed be there, I will put up some ducks and some twigs and say a prayer and move along on the trail. You did mention of some sort, I also hope for me too.
Don
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Don,

Are you saying I'm full of sh--? Sounds like something markskor would say! If you are referring to my earlier post about getting recycled by a bear, I may be old but I ain't dead yet! And will be out and about soon! (going fishing today but lucky that Deschutes redsides are late feeders!)

Mike
Mike

East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

How about considering a range east of the Sierra - like the Piper Wilderness, the Inyos, or even further - the Toiyabe Range. Fremont and Carson said that the Toiyabe Range was the best range except for the Sierra. I've hiked the "Muir" trail of the Toiyobe and it is wonderful - though several hundred miles east. Its not a bad drive..
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi Old Ranger, I happened to read that statement awhile back and I laughted so hard, It made my day.So,if a bear eats me,then recycles me, thats o.k.,but not when I'm alive, I'd rather be dead first. Thanks again for the response and hope fishing was good today.

Eastsidehiker,thank you too. With the short time I have and the high gas prices, I will consider it in the future. I'm coming from Los Angelas (Torrance). So many trails on my bucket list.
Don