Yosemite Valley today - 2011 | High Sierra Topix  

Yosemite Valley today - 2011

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Yosemite Valley today - 2011

Postby markskor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:59 pm

7 007.JPG
Falls West of El Cap - Ribbon Falls
Yosemite Valley – 2011

Just returned from the Valley and happy to announce that all the falls are indeed running wild – as expected. Great fun to see all sorts of normally dry waterfalls alive and vibrant where usually there is not any water at all coming over the rim.
Ribbon Falls, a large falls just west of El Cap, now looks just like a second Yosemite Falls – 2000 foot drop (see picture) – amazing.

There is some bad news to report however regarding the Valley BP campground, (the one behind the Stables). Due to recent spring erosion, they are rerouting all the sewer lines in the north-east end of the park. Now, instead of the sewer lines flowing down the general north river basin, and following close to the Ahwahnee road, as has been in the past, now they are digging trenches (piles of dirt everywhere), starting at the stables and heading south, installing pumps (to push the sewage- thru 1-foot pipes) across/over the stone river bridge, and then eventually leading/pushing the chit west, intending on following the Curry side of the river down. This is probably a good thing, ground pollution-wise, but the greatest result seen is that some facilities, (specifically the old stone/wood restroom building) in the BP camp is now gone.(No more flush toilets and running water spigots there.) All that remains of that archaic building now are the bull-dozer tracks where the BP Camp restroom once stood (see picture). Also, at the present time, there is no potable water spigot available/seen in the BP camp.

The ranger I talked to said YNP does intend to install a water spigot and some porta-potties there eventually, for us backpackers to use this summer but this is not yet done. Until that time, the BP camp in the Valley is closed…sigh!
Attachments
7 015.JPG
Dozer scars
7 014.JPG
all that remains of the BP restroom
8 002.JPG
Sketch of old building - RIP
Mountainman who swims with trout

markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Valley today - 2011

Postby Bandito » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks for the report!
Bandito
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Postby rlown » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 pm

hmm. You were in the valley (at some point in time) and out of all that beauty, you drew the outhouse? Just asking.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby oldranger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Mark

Who did you steal the camera from! :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby markskor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Russ writes: "You were in the valley (at some point in time) and out of all that beauty, you drew the outhouse? Just asking."
IMHO, the BP campground is the most desirable campground of all the Valley sites. Just ask SierraMaclure (her dizzy tree-top, hammock picture) among others...a bit of sanity in the otherwise overcrowded Valley zoo. Where else would you camp when in the Valley? Nobody bothers you in the BP camp, and it is safe.
After a 2 week trip a few years back, I took a zero day there, resting up, doing some fatties, and drawing.
I also drew the Tuolumne store, the main store, and a few other buildings too...
Mark
Attachments
8 004.JPG
Tuolumne Store
8 003.JPG
Dome
markskor

Postby maverick » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks Mark!
Any more water fall photo's by any chance?
I like the Half Dome sketch, was this drawn on this trip?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby markskor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Mav,
My buddy Stan carried the long lens (Nikon) and expect a bunch of photos from him real soon.
BTW, Spent a lot of time in El Cap meadows watching the climbers...about 12 on the nose route and will publish those too, if they come out.
Yosemite Falls this AM.
Attachments
7 012.JPG
Big Falls
markskor

Postby maverick » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Mark, it's looking good up there.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby gary c. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Great pictures and drawings Mark. It's a shame about the bathroom, I hope that they replace it soon. Thanks for posting your report.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

Markskor wrote "Until that time, the BP camp in the Valley is closed…sigh!"
So does this means that next day permits will not be issued until they reopen the
backpacker campground, or do they have an alternate site set up for backpackers?
Are they planning to increase the same day permits therefore increasing entry quotas
until it is reopened?

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby markskor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 am

Mav,
Cannot answer any of those questions...Ranger I talked to did not even know - (I asked.)
Was staying in campground next to stables, and had just returned from a morning walk where discovered the BP restroom problem, I asked first available ranger I saw. She did not even know the restroom was gone - yet (she had not gone back there in a while.)...must be a recent thing. Nobody seems to know anything, or at least they are not telling.
She did mention that water and sewage are separate entities and that water should be restored soon enough easily, but as for restrooms, she said she had heard about 3 porta-potties discussed somewhere, or... "You can always make the short walk to the first restroom building across the small bridge."
She also mentioned that in her opinion, a lot of things get started in the park but few actually get finished on time. Also she agreed that the BP site was the best site in the park, but they really did not want a bunch of packers peeing on every tree back there.
Hence the sigh.

Might be worth a call after May 1 when the Valley permit office re-opens. Stay tuned I guess.
Mark
markskor

Postby snusmumriken » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am

Mark I love the drawings -even the bathroom one is quite fetching.

If they are rerouting the sewer to bypass this area altogether, I wonder what this mean for the backpacker campground. They might provide portapotties as a short term solution for this season but I doubt they would really allow a campground to continue in operation without sewer. Anybody else know the scoop on this?
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Next

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping