More Qs re east side shortcuts from/to Kern River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
slade
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

More Qs re east side shortcuts from/to Kern River

Post by slade »

Thanks for a good discussion about Whitney and Rock Creeks (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1797&p=11427&hilit= ... ern#p11427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Has anyone tried the defile up the creek above Upper Funston Meadow, to Boreal Plateau between Funston and Johnson Lakes, on to Big Whitney Meadow, Cottonwood Pass and Horseshoe Meadow?
slade
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: More Qs re east side shortcuts from/to Kern River

Post by slade »

My son is considering accompanying me and one other in September on the first three days of our hike from Horseshoe Meadow to a loop around the Kaweahs. We will be camping the third night at Kern Hot Spring, having stopped at the Pacific Crest Trail lower Rock Creek crossing, and the Wallace Creek/PCT/High Sierra Trail junction nights 1 and 2. He is looking to return to Horseshoe as quickly as practicable, e.g., cross country, as opposed to backtracking, or hiking the Kern River Trail to the Kern Canyon Ranger station, then out to Horseshoe via Trail Pass.

On a loop out of Horseshoe a few years back, he and his wife met three guys that claimed to have hiked cross country from Siberian Outpost down to Kern Hot Spring. That seems to indicate Rock Creek, but from the discussions referenced above, Rock Creek seems unlikely.

This is the motivation for the question in my initial post. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

slade