Yosemite Rim Views

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Rim Views

Post by maverick »

Most of us have hiked around the parts of rim of YV, and I think most of us would
say it affords some the best views in sierra, and the world.
So, which of these view points along the rim would you consider your favorite/prettiest
view of the Valley from above, and one that you have to at least hike a small distance
to get to, Glacier Pt. doesn't count, which one would it be.

a. Washburn Point

b. Union Point

c. Stanford Point

d. Taft Point

e. Eagle Peak Summit

f. Yosemite Point

g. North Dome Summit

h. Half Dome Summit
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite Rim Views

Post by The Other Tom »

I love Taft pt. It's one of my favorites.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I like ALL the viewpoints. Depends on what you are trying to see. I am a bit partial to the views from the Pohono Trail and Panorama Trails

Crocker Point

El Cap from Taft Point

Inspiration Point

Yosemite Falls from the top of Sentinal Creek
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

The view from Half Dome is awesome. As WD mentioned, there are some nice views from the Panarama Trail (trees obstruct somewhat...hike off the trail a bit for a clearer view). I hold a special place for Taft because that was a snowshoe trip for me.

Gosh, I dont know......

Flip
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

May I add Sentinel Dome...pretty awesome views from there.

Good views on 4 Mile Trail. Did that and the Panorama last year. On the Panorama Trail there are wonderful views, but as Ozark Flip mentioned, the trees have grown and some views have been obscured. ( I just recorded a video tape to DVD from 2001 on the same trail and you can see the difference just in those 9 years.)

In all of the years and visits to Yosemite, I didn't go to Taft Point until 2003. Can't believe I had missed that.

I love all of the views...just try to rotate the destinations every year.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Washburn Point was the location for my husband and I to enjoy a light dinner and a photo, on our 25th anniversary. (I have my "Yosemite '84" tshirt on...we were married in the chapel that year...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

I would have to say my favorite is Half Dome. I hiked up it with a friend via Mono Meadow on a two night backpacking trip. My first time backpacking and first time to Yosemite. Heck, my first time on a true summit and experience with the high sierra. That was the trip that started it all.

Best view? Probably Yosemite Point, since I can see Half Dome and think back to that trip.

Washburn is awesome, but a little to close to the road.