SEKI trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI trip report

Post by copeg »

Drove up to Cedar Grove Friday with the intention of doing a ski tour trip up to Sphinx Lakes or up Bubbs Creek toward Forester. After loading up I hit the trail. A ways down the trail I found that Bubbs Creek was totally flooded. Couldn't even get to the bridge crossing as the river had completely enveloped it. Considered heading up somewhere else, when it started to rain. A little uninspired at that point, I just bailed out of the backpacking trip - ended up car camping for a few nights.
Snow line was still pretty low - a day hike up to Panther Gap in Sequoia was almost entirely on snow save for the first mile. But its melting fast - rivers were REALLY swollen. The drive along the road to Cedar Grove was a little scary as the raging river was only about 1/2 foot to a foot below the road. It was pooring most of Sunday morning, snow level was predicted to be 8000ft but I'd bet it was MUCH higher than that.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks for the report Trailblazer. With the existing snow and now new snow on top of that, I'm going to postpone my Memorial Day trip to the Sierra for a week or two.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Likewise; thanks for the report.

That's a lot of water.

I wonder which bridge you are refering to? Is it one of the lower bridges before the initial switchbacks or the bridge that passes over Bubbs above the switchbacks enroute to Avalanche Pass ans Sphynx Creek?
copeg

Post by copeg »

Wingding - may be for the best to postpone, although I know how hard it is to do so.

Shawn, I was referring to the bridge below the switchbacks here

The trail just after crossing the Kings was underwater, and after a little scrambling through the forest I could see the bridge in the distance on the other side of several fingers of fast moving water. :paranoid: All the rivers were pretty awe inspiring, and worth the drive just to see them.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Whoa. That is amazing. I've been thru there so many times I've lost count but have never been witness to so much water. I may just make the drive next week to check it out.

Thanks again for the report.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

The high water is not fun, we learned that from last year. We postponed our 9 day July trip for this year. Thanks for the report!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

Driving along the S.F. Kings River at peak runoff, headed towards Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon, is quite a humbling experience. When you get out of the car, like at Boyden Cave area or anyplace along the way, the thunder of that raging river makes you feel quite insignificant. The ground literally shakes. I've seen entire trees get swallowed up and flung like a toothpick down that river. It is one of the best accessible displays of the power of nature in action, and it only lasts a couple/few weeks.
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by langenbacher »

Thanks for the report! You saved my 3-day weekend! I had a permit reserved for climbing Brewer via Sphinx Lakes, but now I'll probably change destinations to the peaks around Sawmill pass.
I called the Road's End wilderness office today, and the guy read me a report simply saying that the Bubbs creek trail was flooded beyond Bailey Bridge (2 miles up the trail) and is recommended for experienced hikers only.
I had much fun climbing Barnard and Trojan a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully the same equipment will get me up Perkins and Pinchot. I'll have to bag Brewer later this season.