Memorial Day camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Memorial Day camping

Post by Trailguru »

Hi all

Me and a few friends will be camping on memorial day weekend but being that it's the big holiday there are almost no spots that can be reserved as far as I can see. I was wondering if anyone knows of good walk-in sites in the Sierras with water (such as rivers or lakes) and great hiking. I was thinking of the lakes and the reservoirs such as Courtright, Wishon, Florence, Thomas Edison and etc that has an alpine feel and nearby peaks that can be scrambled. know it's a big risk going in without a reservation but we've done it before in Mineral King on Labor day weekend. Since MK is oftentimes outside of people's radar it wasnt even packed that weekend. I'm sure there must be other campsites in the Sierras that have little foot traffic with gorgeous scenery and little crowds. I'd go to MK again but the snow being so high this year it prob won't even be open this year.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Memorial Day camping

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I doubt this year any of those lakes you mentioned will be open by Memorial Day. I was not clear on what kind of "camping" you were planning to do. Car camping with day hikes? Or a short backpack?
Kings Canyon has lots of campgrounds, - Cedar Grove or Lodgepole area. I bet you could find a campground there if you were willing to drive around a bit. I have gone there Memorial Day before without a reservation.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is the listing for all the campground in the area your asking about.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreati ... amps.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just click on the name of the campground to get directions/map locations.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

Yeah, just camping

I'm hoping the west side of the Sierras may open by Memorial Day weekend
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

South Fk. of the Kern or Death Valley. Look for somewhere low. Its going to keep snowing.