Suggestions for for first time backpacking cross country?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions for for first time backpacking cross country?

Post by Jimr »

Ionian Basin will be especially difficult this year with the deep snow pack.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I'd highly recommend Humphreys Basin - lots of area to wander around in, very easy navigation with the big peaks that surround the basin as landmarks. Plus you can get back on the trail and go around the corner to French canyon where there's more of the same -or if you're feeling more confident, there are several X-C passes over the ridge from Humphreys to French canyon.

Another easy area is Emigrant Basin in the Emigrant wilderness. A lot of nice X-C there is just strolling across a grassy/sandy hillside. You can get in there on the trail from Leavitt Lake in a day if you go late enough in the summer so that you can go over the top of Big Sam without dealing with serious snow, or take a day and a half from Kennedy Meadows. Plus no permit hassles in the Emigrant, since no quotas. Just pick up a permit and head on out.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

I would also put in a vote for Emigrant.....lots of great wide open terrain and it's very easy-going route finding x-country terrain. Granite and Leopold Lakes are very nice especially Leopold. We approached Leopold out of Bear Lake and we had all to ourselves at the end of June. June will probably not be an option this year given all of the snow but I think it will be great at some point in July.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

The Ionian Basin is a rugged, beautiful place, but only for experienced backpackers. Blackcap Basin would be perfect for a first time cross country hiker, so would Humphreys Basin.

Notice the dark jagged rock in this photo taken in The western portion of the Ionian Basin in late August 2006. That rock will give any pair of boots a thorough field test. The eastern section of the basin has a bowl of smooth, white granite. Beautiful, rough country!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

I appreciate all the thorough responses and suggestions! I will take a look at maps to get a closer look at the humphreys basin, blackcap basin, and cottonwood to sky blue lake suggestions. Monarch Divide definitely interests me too.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

Another spectacular location is the Cirque Crest route - from Roads End go over Granite Pass (on trail), then head over Gray/White/Red passes and through Lake Basin and over Cartridge Pass. The worst pass is White Pass, and it is a relatively easy class 2. As long as you can handle some steep talus, it's good. That is a beautiful area.
diesel
Topix Acquainted

Post by diesel »

Thanks, lambertiana. Enjoyed looking over your trip report from that area.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

One of my early cross country hikes was over Knapsack Pass out of Dusy Basin into the Barret Lakes below the Palisades. Its all above treeline so the route was fairly easy to follow and the area was simply gorgeous. You could hike out from there, but we continued SE over two more cross country passes (Cirque? and Potluck?)to the Palisdaes Lakes on the JMT, then hiked the JMT back to the Bishop Pass trail and finally to South Lake. One thing I didnt see you mention was whether you would be doing the trip solo or with a group. While I dont have the experience of some on this board and my solo hiking is limited, I'm not sure I would go solo on my first true cross country trip. Just my opinion, but either way have a great trip!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead