Looking for advice on Tehipite Valley and MF Kings, June 201

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Looking for advice on Tehipite Valley and MF Kings, June 201

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have climbed with Ron Hudson, the fellow who wrote the climber.org report. Ron climbs 5.10, is a champion at competative orientieering, is about 6ft4in, takes one step for every one of mine, can out-walk everyone and has banged around the Sierra for over 40 years. Although he made it up river, I doubt many of us could. I sure enjoyed climbing with him. I do not think there is any terrain too gnarly for him to get through.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

agree with everyone herein about june/july this year...

for what it's worth, here's my trip report from sepember, 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5514&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the trail is in good condition.
long climb out but well worth the visit in late season this year imo if you can.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I hear all the great advice, but I originally wanted a great flower show at 4,000' in May in central California. I have giving the idea up. I know I could slug my way into the Valley, through the snow, and I still should, but I've been sick for a couple months and I should just wait another year. Every year is different. I know that at 4,000' there has to be a flower show in May; even in weed fields there are great flower shows in May. And from the advice of someome one I can't remember now ("Old Ranger?"), I got the list from Cal Flora of the cool plants to look for in Tehipite Valley, at least one of is endemic.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Eastside

Not me! Tehipite Tom? Mountaineer?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!