Re-supply Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TenderPaw
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re-supply Yosemite

Post by TenderPaw »

Afternoon everyone.
I'm still putting together my plans for this summer and have a question for you. I will be getting to Tuolumne late September and have heard that the store closes around that time. If Tioga Pass is closed to the east will I be able to hop the Yosemite bus into the valley for my re-supply? Also if I mailed my re-supply to Tuolumne and knew ahead of time that my schedule would not allow me to pick it up in time, do you think they would move my package to Yosemite p.o. if I called a couple of weeks ahead of time?

Joel
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Re-supply Yosemite

Post by rlown »

the store usually comes down around the 24th of sept. It was closed when Markskor and I rolled through later that week last season. All really depends on the weather, as to when they close.. You might not know unless you call them pre-trip, and get the logistics.

Not knowing your trip plan makes it harder to make other suggestions.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tioga Pass will be open, the earliest it's closed was 17th Oct 2004.
Buses stop running around Labor Day, so I would not count on getting any commercial
transportation late into September.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TenderPaw
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by TenderPaw »

Thanks for the fast reply.

Rlown, this trip is the continuation of viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... long story short I will be hiking north from Onion Valley to home (Tahoe).

I will be re-supplying at Taboose Pass, Bishop, Red's, Tuolumne, and Kennedy Meadows.

Maverick, thanks again for the suggestion on breaking up the Gardiner-Arrow l.b-Bench-Lakes Basin-Dumbbell-Amp-Palisade-Dusy-Bishop section into two. I have a re-supply coming [-o< to meet me at Taboose Pass that allows me to take up to twenty days to wander the area.

As far as the Tuolumne re-supply goes I think I will either mail it to Yosemite Valley or Lee Vinning. Does any one have a preference?

Thanks again, I'll keep you all up to date as things change...