early hike across shepherd pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
raphus
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

early hike across shepherd pass

Post by raphus »

Hi all,

I know it's probably still too early to foresee the trail/snow condition on the high sierra passes around mid/late June; however I am wondering if some of you could possibly give some advices:

I'd like to backpack across Shepherd pass (and later on attempt Mt Whitney) next June, I am somewhat experienced in backpacking and cross-country hiking but not so much in the Sierra Nevada (rather in the French Alps !). Does Sheperd pass usually grow a large snow corniche, or is it appropriate for an early season hike (with the wife !) ?

Thanks for any help !
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: early hike across shepherd pass

Post by maverick »

Hi Rahpus

Welcome to HST!
It is a 6200 foot climb which you need to start early or camp at Anvil Camp which is
8 1/2 miles from the trailhead or at the eastern end of Mahogany Flat.
Expect a steep snowfield below the summit where ice axe, crampons if you are
going over earlier in the day because of icy conditions.
Of coarse self arrest experience is a must.
If your wife is not an experienced hiker, especially under these conditions, do not
attempt this hike!
This is not easy hike for many even in the best conditions, but add in snow, and ice mix
it becomes extremely dangerous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I would wait until late July or August to do Shepherd Pass. The pass is 12,000'.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Shepherd Pass is not easy. Its straight up to Anvil Camp. I would wait until August to over and start early in the morning.

Texan
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

ignore - i confused the pass with Sawmill ](*,)
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

As far as snow goes, I think your only worry going up Shepherd Pass in early season will be the last half mile up the pass. Snow is often present on the last few hundred yards of the pass, which is shaded most of the day and can make for some treacherous conditions. I have been over the pass (from Junction Pass) several times and remember a mid July visit in 1979 when the last 50 feet of the trail was over hard packed, icy snow. It was scary without an ice axe (I didn't have one).

Here's a photo of the pass (circa 1979), with the location of the pass shown in yellow.

Mike

raphus
Topix Novice

Post by raphus »

Thanks a lot for your advices !
I think we'll give up the Shepherd idea and head out to Cottonwood pass, even if the trail is (supposedly) less "scenic".
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Cottonwood Pass is much easier than Shepards. There no comparison. You start at almost 10,000 ft not in the desert. I like Cottonwood Pass area and Cottonwood Lakes area too. We used to day hike to what I believe it was Cirque Lake. I like the area becuase you start at a high elevation. Mosquito Flat out of Rock Creek is a high elevation trailhead with lots of lake close by.

Texan
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Cottonwood Pass is very beautiful, and I would think especially in the early season. But the condition of the road would be the only concrn as it does go through a few shady places. I don't know what the road is like in June near the top, as I usually try it in my April trips (not open), and then don't go again until mid July (it does go to 10.000').
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

The road that goes to Horseshoe Meadows trailhead is usually fine by early June, except in the heaviest snow years. What you have to watch out for is rocks on the road. The get alot of rockfall on the road, usually during the night, esp. early season. If my memory serves me right, they have a snow gate that they keep locked, if the road is not ready to go in early season. However, I have never been there in June when it has not been open.