early hike across shepherd pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
slade
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: early hike across shepherd pass

Post by slade »

Shepherd Pass is an excellent approach to climbing Mt. Whitney--as raphus's initial post says he plans--as is Cottonwood Pass. The Cottonwood Pass route is a little shorter (2.4 miles according to Harrison), and an easier start (higher trailhead and lower pass, as discussed above), but both routes are beautiful and scenic in their own way, and in the final analysis, the conditions atop Mt. Whitney--raphus's stated goal--will control. A mid-July start should work either way.
SPeacock
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: early hike across shepherd pass

Post by SPeacock »

If you are looking for scenery the Shepherd Pass route is hands down more spectacularly scenic than is Cottonwood Pass. But going over Kearsarge and camping at the meadows and then Tyndall Creek the next night would be about the same time as getting to Tyndall Creek from Symmes Creek trail head. Most spend the night near Anvil. A few make it over to the other side on the first day with a big pack.

If you can do that, then it really doesn't matter which way you go.

I'd rather do Shepherd Pass than Forester in June. It is sort of like deciding between going to Denver by I- 70 or I 40 in the spring.