North Lake Again, maybe S.Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

North Lake Again, maybe S.Lake

Post by frediver »

I sure could use some advice from someone who has made the loop N. to So. Lake or N. Lake Loop
over Lamarck Col.
I am facing a couple potential problems.
1. I am traveling from Sea Level to N. Lake. The potential plan is to arrive on Sat. afternoon and spend the night at the trail head and start Sun early AM.
I would like to spend another night at upper Lamarck Lake to further acclimate. but if I feel good I will go over, likely not for planning purposes.
So this potentially puts me at Darwin Bench or Evolution Lk/Canyon Mon. night.
Now starting from the Bench and a typical Easy pace ( using Sierra So. Standards ).
The trail between Evolution Lake and Big Pete Meadow looks like it could be a very long haul in one day using the "Easy Standard"?
I am wondering if trying to do the loop using Bishop pass is doable by the next Sun AM, I need to work Mon. evening in the Bay Area, another 6-8hr. drive.
Should I allow an extra day or would the loop down Evolution canyon and back up over Paiute Pass be a reasonable alternative in the time I have ?
I have hiked a few times from So.Lake but the Lamarck Col loop is unknown.
I think I could do better than an Easy Pace but traveling from Sea Level and for planning I want
a safety factor built in.

Thanks

BTW, does anyone know anyplace I could safely stash my motorcycle in either the N. or So. lake area? For this trip I would drive rather than ride.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake Again, maybe S.Lake

Post by BrianF »

Easily doable in that amount of time. I don't know what easy standard is, but if you want to keep it easy, plan on the first night at Uppper Lamarck. I have gone over the col to Darwin cyn/bench the first day a few times but I would not classify it as easy. Darwin Bench is a great place and I would plan on camping there and then have a short day to evolution basin and use the rest of the day to explore there. Evolution is a great place to have a layover. There is some decent camping at the little lake between Muir pass and the Pete meadows if you need to break up that trek. Muir pass often carries snow late so that may slow you down depending on when you go. From Leconte canyon it easy to go out over Bishop pass in two days.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You should have to problems doing this trip in the allotted time.
The LeConte descent is not that bad, but there are some lakes on the western
side of the trail which are quite pretty, and a good place to stay if need be.
Also make sure to spend some time in Dusy Basin it is well worth it, and South Lake
can be reached from here easily in the same day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Lolly gagging was part of the reason I opened this thread, I want to "see" more than I want to do a time & trail race.
Mon. Tues Pm, Evolution Lake/ Canyon
Wed.Pm Helen Lake or Big Pete
Thur. Pm Dusy Cutoff
Fri. PM Dusy
Sat. PM Out or mostly.
Sun.AM So.Lake /trail head and hope for a ride.

I am hoping to have an extra day for Evolution Canyon area and almost one for Dusy.
Not knowing the terrain in between I'm hoping this mileage schedule will allow me the
time to enjoy my trip. IIRC from the map my mileage will be about 5-7 per day with
one long day from Evolution Lake to Helen/Big Pete area or would it be more reasonable to shorten that leg further and stay at one of the smaller lakes?
And hows the fishing for this loop, I'm looking at late July/Aug ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you make it to Big Pete that Wed night, I would take off early and go up to Dusy
Basin, and spend 2 days there, rather than the one night at the LeConte Ranger
Station area which is dull scenery wise, it will definitely be worth it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

That itinerary should be easy to do. I like to lollygag and take my time to see the scenery, and I camped at the Darwin Creek crossing of the JMT, next night at Helen Lake, next night at the LeConte ranger station, and the next night in upper Dusy Basin. And I took a very relaxing pace to get there, plenty of time to take pictures and smell the roses.