permit questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Most of Mokelumne Wilderness doesn't require a permit. The only exception is the section near Carson Pass which requires one. Most of the trails are unmaintained. You can enter off state routes 4 and 88 as well as Blue Lakes Road (need 4WD for the last option, I think). Another place you may be interested in is Carson Iceberg Wilderness. You do need a permit, but there are no quotas and you can self-register at most trailheads and ranger stations. You can enter off state routes 4 and 108 and U.S. 395.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

PJ wrote:Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I've heard that wilderness permits are not required in the Sequoia National Forest, with the exception of the Golden Trout Wilderness.
I just got back from a 3day in Jennie Lakes Wilderness and while no permit (other than a fire permit) was needed, the sign at JO pass (the border of Sequoia) stated that wilderness permits were required within the park.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.