Dreaming of Tulainyo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Dreaming of Tulainyo

Post by quentinc »

Head straight up (or down) the middle; as others have noted, it is easier than it looks. It's only challenging if, like me, you get creative and try to find a better route. I did a very long and mostly wonderful day hike from Wales Lake to the top of Russell (with an ill-advised detour along the way) last summer. As for Tulainyo, it looked like there was camping around the northwest portion.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Sirlight, regarding permits for the Mountaineers Route: I'm no expert on this, but do know if you time your entry for mid-week (Monday - Thursday), you'll have better luck getting a permit. Weekends are tough. Also, any time after Labor Day increases your odds. If you are traveling solo, you will have much better luck landing a walk-in permit.

Mike
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I too dream of Lake Tulainyo. Just fact that it is.

Its interesting to look at the pictures of it - there doesn't appear to be any plants growing around it.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

I dreamnt of visiting Tulainyo Lake ever since I read this article

http://www.peterhemming.com/Journ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Yep, I noticed that article last year. I am not planning on bringing scuba gear or swimming either! Just visiting the lake will be enough.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

scuba ain't the only kind of gear you might want at Tulainyo:

http://dittli.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/ ... 1_70_35as/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;