Least Desirable Sierra Destinations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Least Desirable Sierra Destinations

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote:I do not care for LYV, just to many people, to noisy, and this is really magnified if it is
my first trip for the season, I really have to zoom right thru it.
Plus it is not the prettiest location either.
Second this! I spent the last night of my Clark Range trip in the sprawling megalopolis of LYV campground, and it might as well have been the Valley itself--only without any amenities. :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

MK wrote "I'll get the fur flying by starting off that I kindly disagree with Maverick's
opening statement, in light of the variety that is the Andes."
I'll have to disagree since the Sierra is in one state, one country, unlike the
Andes which is 4300 miles, and runs through several countries, so they are not
really comparable.
Find me a range less than 400 miles long to compare that is as diverse, and beautiful
as the Sierra Nevada, not over 10 times the length!
None of those countries with the Andes running through them have the bio diversity
that the Sierra offers, each have several individual spots that are beautiful, but not
even close to 400 miles of it, and if we really take from Northern Yosemite
to Southern SEKI than we are really only talking about 270-300 miles!
To me Chile, from what I have seen, would offer the most, and the one I would visit
if I had the chance, and then Bolivia, Peru, and Argentina from the rest.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

dave54 wrote:Anywhere south of tahoe, including tahoe itself.
Whuh...? I agree with you about Tahoe (it kills me that so many people think of Tahoe as synonymous with "the Sierra"), including Desolation Wilderness...but everything worth seeing in the Sierra is south of Tahoe, not north. Seriously: what on earth is there to see up that way?

(I mean in terms of landscape; obviously, there are some great wildflower areas in the northern Sierra.)
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote: Find me a range less than 400 miles long to compare that is as diverse, and beautiful
as the Sierra Nevada, not over 10 times the length!
you asked...

take a trip to the mountains of the island of Corsica - 100x50 miles and vastly different geology in each valley. When I first came to the Sierra, I was annoyed how long it took to get to something different. Guess I was spoiled by the French Island.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

dave54 wrote:
Anywhere south of tahoe, including tahoe itself.
Yeah, don't come to Tahoe it sucks here.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Fish

I have heard from an associate about how pretty the island is, with a great trail called
GR20, but peaks at close to only 9000 ft, and the lack of beautiful pine forested land
with sequoia's, redwoods, and numerous lakes high and low, and numerous major
rivers, I do not see a comparison, even he siting some of these differences when talking
about Corsica as compared to the sierra, he did mention great rock climbing.
This person has been to the Tibet, Alaska, New Zealand, Kenya, Chile, and Argentina
to name a few places, and said that the Sierra in his opinion is still the best.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by mokelumnekid »

Sorry Mav, maybe we can agree to disagree. I enjoy the Sierra plenty, but I also find it monotonous as a result of the geology and climate. It is beautiful, no question, and easy to travel in, and I have a life-time of great memories, but it is all of a type in my mind. Others will obviously disagree, and beauty is in the mind of the beholder, no point in trying to argue that, I was just stating my opinion. But that wasn't the point of your post anyway, and not a necessary part of what makes the discussion interesting. :whistle:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No arguments from me MK, just send me some plane tickets down to Torres del Paine
for 2 weeks and we'll call it even.
Oh, and make sure we fly over Atacama, check this out http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/977480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you get a chance to fly over this beautiful area?
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Hetchy »

TehipiteTom wrote:
dave54 wrote:Anywhere south of tahoe, including tahoe itself.
Whuh...? I agree with you about Tahoe (it kills me that so many people think of Tahoe as synonymous with "the Sierra"), including Desolation Wilderness...but everything worth seeing in the Sierra is south of Tahoe, not north. Seriously: what on earth is there to see up that way.
Whats worth seeing between Tahoe and the White granite of the Sierra? (Range of Light) Well.. I'll show you.
This:
And this:
And this:
And this:
And this:
And this:
And this:
And this:

It is really ironic how people acuse us thru hikers of going too fast to see anything and i feel like you must have missed something cause that area is beautiful beyond words! (IMHO)
Hey this is all about opinions and I respect yours.
For my own opinion:
Seeing the "range of light" and then passing through that dark crumbling landscape from Dorothy lake pass north to the Tahoe Rim and then seeing it all switch back to granite in the Sierra buttes makes you realize how lucky we are to have all of it.. even the bits we thought we wouldn't like.
In 2,665 miles on the PCT there was not one mile i did not like. :D
Last edited by Hetchy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hetchy, that view in the second photo looks familiar, it was taken near the
Granite Chief area right?