Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley | High Sierra Topix  

Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Re: Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

Postby East Side Hiker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:51 pm

If I have my facts right, and I might not, I believe there's only about 50 rattlesnake bites a year in the U.S. And, in most cases of those bitten, alcohol was involved.

East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby quentinc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Yup. Those damn snakes just can't handle liquor.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 pm

I've been through Simpson Meadow quite a few times and haven't seen a rattler yet. I don't doubt that they're there but the stars didn't align for a meeting - although I admit that I did have my one treasured encounter with a mountain lion in the Simpson Meadow area. I have however run into rattlers multiple times on the Bubbs Creek and Copper Creek trails. I was pounding downhill on the Copper Creek trail with a heavy pack, came around a corner and my very next step was going to be on a large rattler coiled up on the trail! Erk! Doh! I couldn't stop in time so I threw myself over the downhill edge of the trail and slid aways... Dodged the bullet on that one. The largest rattler that I have seen to date was in (of all places) Giant Forest.
Cloudy
Topix Regular

Postby TehipiteTom » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am

quentinc wrote:Yup. Those damn snakes just can't handle liquor.

That's because they don't have opposable thumbs.

Or thumbs (or hands or arms) at all, for that matter.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby richlong8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Domelands Wilderness is a great place to see rattlesnakes!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby texan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Your right about Domeland Wilderenss and rattlesnakes. Another area is the Greenhorn Mountains which is close by. When I was kid we used to fish that area and I always saw rattlesnakes all the time.

Texan
texan
Topix Regular

Postby vandman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:17 am

I've been to Tehipite 3 times and have seen quite a few rattlesnakes. They give plenty of warning, so it wasn't a problem. The Monarch Wilderness just west of Tehipite is loaded with them. I day hiked from Tehipite down the Middle Fork and up into the side canyons and saw maybe 6 or 7 on that hike. They were curled up on boulders. I didn't bother them and they ignored me after a little shake of their button. Just be careful jumping from boulder to boulder. I was more freaked out by the revelation that there are Black Widows in Tehipite Valley, which I discovered on my third journey under rocks and downed trees.
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby Cloudy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Lol. I have a dose of Arachnophobia and we get quite a few Black Widows in the middle of my small town. I live in an apartment and have had two large ones crawl under my screen door and set up shop in my home - discovered by reaching for a shoe in the shelf by the door and hitting that unmistakeable web. I regularly kill 8-10 every two weeks around my friend's house (in town) during the summer and got one the other night in the garage. Yikes! I never see this many "in the wild"...
Cloudy
Topix Regular

Postby Cross Country » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm

That's really something. I'm sure I've seen more rattlesnakes than black widows and I live is Los Angeles.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby richlong8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:09 pm

We get plenty of widows in Bakersfield, but have to head to the hills to see snakes; haven't been to Tephite, but from what I have heard and read, it is full of bugs, no matter what time of year you go
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby vandman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I used to paint houses in the Sacramento area when I was in college, and I encountered Black Widows everyday. Once up in the foothills I found one that was living between the screen and window. This specimen was--I swear--with it legs spread out, as big as a CD. It was huge. I left it alone, since I wasn't being paid to kill mutant spiders.

Tehipite Valley is worth any discomfort. The bugs aren't that bad at all. You want to see bugs spend some time hiking out here in the eastern woods and swamps! That's why I love hiking in the Sierra, except for a small window of mosquitoes, there are no bugs. When I hear people bitching about the Sierra mosquitoes, I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. Just slather some DEET on and enjoy the solitude, and the perfectly dry weather!
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby richlong8 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:05 pm

You have a point vandman! I was raised near the woods in Massachusetts, and I have forgotten how buggy the east coast is. I have to get to Tehphite- but I want to go in the fall when the water level is down, so I can fish the river.
richlong8
Topix Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping