Ionian Basin, Scylla, and Charybdis

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Ionian Basin, Scylla, and Charybdis

Post by East Side Hiker »

I am going to the Ionian Basin again this summer, via Lamark Col. I want to climb the Scylla and Charybdis this time. Any good thoughts on routes/approaches?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ionian Basin, Scylla, and Charybdis

Post by maverick »

I have been up Scylla which was an easy class 2 route up its northwestern side.
Here is a link for the Scylla route which is show in the picture, it is the exact route I took.
http://www.summitpost.org/scylla/183566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I've also done Scylla, and though it's not very challenging, it's a fun climb and a great view. Some day I'll get back there and do Charybdis -- supposedly, the summit block is a bit tricky.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I am looking forward to the views. This will be my fourth trip into the Ionian Basin, but the first time ascending the peaks there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been into Ionian Basin from three approaches- Black Giant Pass (quite easy but more distance), from Florence Lake via Martha Lake - and then two choices- up the drainage from Martha Lake or over Reinstein Pass and traverse to the lakes just below Scylla.

There is nice camping at the lakes below Scylla - not large spaces but a few flat grassy spots. There is an isthmus-like arm on the upper lake that juts out into the lake- with grass at the shore-ward start of the arm. Although flat spots are located farther out on the arm, it is quite windy out there. This camp makes the climb of Scylla very short. Both times I was at this lake it looked to me that an ice-axe would be quite useful to get up Scylla. But I was there in two farily high snow years. The lower lake (farther west) is a bit bleaker - lots of sand and mud flats but the hillsides that face south have fantastic wildflowers.

Going in from Florence Lake avoids one pass - you just steadily go up the San Joaquin RIver to Martha Lake. Easy to get to Martha Lake in 2 days - then it is a day into the lakes below Scylla. The Reinstein Pass route is not hard but has some very tricky route-finding. There is another pass that goes directly from Wanda Lake (sorry cannot remember the name) that I have not been over, although it looks very straight-forward on the map.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I have been to Ionian two times over Reinstein and once from the vicinity of Muir Pass but this time I am coming from Lamark Col
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

From Lamark Col you still have several choices of getting to Ionian- Black Giant Pass and Wanda Pass and Solomon Pass. I have done Black Giant Pass and it is quite easy. You end up at Lake 11828 which is a better base for climbing Charybdis. You could then move camp to Lake 11592, that is a good base for climbing Scylla and a direct exit via Wanda Pass. The two times I have been below Scylla, it appeared that an ice axe would be needed to climb it. Charybdis is on the SPS Peak list - you will find good information for this climb at:

http://www.climber.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

That's Black Giant Pass, from Muir Pass, through Lake 11939, to Lake 11828? That's the route I've been on once, and plan on taking this time. It is easy. Maybe I'll go back over Wanda Pass. Thanks for the info.